1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra test question

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    I dont remember exactly how the question on my test was phrased but I believe it was phrased

"Let A be an mxn matrix where m>n. Explain why in general there is not a solution to the equation Ax = b where b is a vector in Rm"

This question was confusing to me because to me the meaning of the question is saying

For all matrices A with dimension mxn, m>n, There does not exist a solution x such that b = Ax, where b is a vector in Rm.

Which is obviously a false statment because I can easily produce a mxn (m>n) matrix A and a solution x such that
    Ax = b, b is a vector in Rm.

This is what I would like to know. I don't want to know what you think it means. Based on how it is worded I want to know what the statement is saying. (I hope that makes sense what I'm asking for)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

When it says "in general there is not a solution" this doesn't mean that there is never a solution. It means that there can be a solution, but such solutions would be fairly rare.

To convince yourself of what the statement is saying, make up an m x n matrix A with m > n, say a 5 X 3 matrix. Here x would have to be a 3 X 1 column vector, and b would have to be a 5 X 1 column vector. Given that there are more rows in A than columns, row reduction would leave you with at least 2 rows of zeroes, and possibly more. If, during row reduction (using an augmented matrix), the column for b didn't end up with zeroes in the positions that correspond to the zero rows in the reduced matrix, there wouldn't be a solution.

The situation would be something like this:
    $$\left[ \begin{array}{c c c c c} 1 & 0 & 0 & | & b_1 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & | & b_2 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & | & b_3 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & | & b_4 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & | & b_5 \\ \end{array} \right]$$

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks. I was wrong then. I though it was saying there will never be a solution. I was hopeing I would be able to get more point on my test ha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted