Looking for a Beginner-Friendly Linear Algebra Textbook?

In summary, there are many options for a good Linear Algebra textbook at different levels of difficulty. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Vectors and Tensors, Vol. 1, Linear and Multilinear Algebra" by Ray M. Bowen and C.-C. Wang, "Linear Algebra: An Introduction" by Richard Bronson, "Linear Algebra" by Hefferon, Jim, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler, "Linear Algebra and its Applications" by Gilbert Strang, "Elementary Linear Algebra" by Paul C. Shields, "Linear Algebra & Applications" by Keith Nicholson, and "Linear Algebra" by Kenneth Hoffman and Ray Kunze. There are also free online texts available, such as "Linear Algebra Done
silver-rose
Hello,

As I would like to learn Linear Algebra, it would be awesome if you guys could introduce me to a good LinAlg text for my level.

I do have knowledge of Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations; although I have forgotten some [read:most] of the Diffi-Eq, my Multivariable is pretty decent. I've dabbled in Matricies, Row-reduction and the likes in High School, although none of that was formally/rigorously introduced.

I am considering this book:

“Introduction to Vectors and Tensors, Vol. 1, Linear and

Multilinear Algebra” by Ray M. Bowen and C.-C. Wang.

Although I must admit, I feel that it might be beyond me at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, my bad, that book is surely beyond my abilities atm.

What about:

Linear Algebra: An Introduction by Richard Bronson
or
Linear Algebra by Hefferon, Jim.

Their contents seem pretty similar to me...so I'll probably end up using one of the Creative Common licensed online texts just cause they're free..

You might be interested in Linear Algebra Done Right, Axler.

Linear Algebra and its Applications
Gilbert Strang

dx said:
Gilbert Strang

Incredibly difficult one. I tried studying from it and could not succeed through the first chapter. It became very difficult very fast. Even Calculus+Analytic Geometry III from a common Calculus textbook was easier than that linear algebra book.

I got Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction by David Poole because someone else recommended it in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=226385.

So far I like it & there is a solution manual as well (buy separately). Can't top the Amazon reviews. Though I can't honestly say I've delved to far into it yet. But the thread has a few other recommendations as well.

dx said:
Gilbert Strang

There are video lectures based on that book on MIT OCW. o_O

heres a good eSY BOOK OF HIGH QUALITY AND CHEAP.

Elementary linear algebra (ISBN: 0879010258)
Paul C Shields
Bookseller: thriftbooks.com
(Auburn, WA, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: US$ 1.00
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 2 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.95
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Worth Publishers. Book Condition: Good. Spend Less. Read More. Millions of satisfied customers and climbing. Thriftbooks is the name you can trust, guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # G0879010258I3N00

Easy (not reccommended):
Linear Algebra & Applications by Keith Nicholson
Linear Algebra & Applications by Lay (more like super easy)

Medium:
Linear Algebra by Gilbert/Gilbert - very accessible book. Don't let amazon fool you. It assumes you know basic vectors. But its just a great read.

Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler - popular book, for its determinant free proofs.

Linear Algebra by Strang

Hard:
Linear Algebra by Friedberg

Advanced Linear Algebra by Roman

Was browsing this site... Anyway, I found this on aMule a few weeks ago:

rapidshare.com/files/115327924/Solutions_to_Axler__Linear_Algebra_Done_Right.pdf.html

It seems to contain a solution to pretty much every exercise in Axler. Might help those thinking about reading it on their own (add http etc. to the link... used to only browsing the site and I can't post links with a fresh username).

Not long ago mathwonk posted a link to what appears to be a very good linear algebra text, available for free here: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
What about 'Linear Algebra' by Kenneth Hoffman and Ray Kunze.

A book you can follow without an instructor is 'Elementary Linear Algebra' by Anton and Rorres.

hoffman and kunze is to me the standard for good thorough books on this subject. but it is pricey new, for that reason.

heres a used one:

Linear Algebra 1e 5pr 1965
Hoffman & Kunze
Bookseller: TextSearch, International (We Recycle!)
(DeKalb, IL, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: US$ 22.24
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 5.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: PH, ^^ in Stock: we Ship at Once fr. IL USA;, 1961. Book Condition: A Used, But Clean Copy;. Dust Jacket Condition: in So So Dust Jacket; 332 clean pages; owner's name (JParr) 2x; eligible for Flat Rate Priority Mail. Binding is Hard Cover and Tight Binding;. Bookseller Inventory # 010938

1. What is the purpose of a linear algebra textbook?

The purpose of a linear algebra textbook is to provide a comprehensive and organized guide to the study of linear algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. It covers topics such as systems of linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and more. A textbook serves as a valuable resource for students to learn and practice the concepts of linear algebra.

2. What are the key concepts covered in a linear algebra textbook?

A linear algebra textbook covers a variety of key concepts such as vectors, vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. It also introduces students to important topics like orthogonality, projections, and diagonalization. Additionally, some textbooks may also cover applications of linear algebra in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

3. How can a linear algebra textbook be useful for students?

A linear algebra textbook can be a valuable resource for students in several ways. It provides a structured and organized approach to learning the subject, with clear explanations and examples. It also offers practice problems and exercises for students to reinforce their understanding of the concepts. Additionally, a textbook can serve as a reference for students to review and refresh their knowledge of linear algebra at any time.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying linear algebra from a textbook?

The prerequisites for studying linear algebra from a textbook may vary depending on the level and complexity of the material covered. However, a strong foundation in algebra, including concepts such as matrices, systems of linear equations, and determinants, is usually recommended. Some knowledge of calculus and geometry may also be helpful in understanding certain topics in linear algebra.

5. How should one approach studying from a linear algebra textbook?

To effectively study from a linear algebra textbook, it is important to follow a systematic approach. This may involve reading and understanding the concepts and definitions, practicing with solved examples, and attempting exercises and problems to test your understanding. It is also helpful to take notes, summarize the key points, and review regularly to reinforce your knowledge. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial if you encounter any difficulties.