How can I better understand the steps of linear algebra?

In summary, In the conversation, the person is asking for help in understanding the process for finding eigenvalues, eigenvectors, matrix P and its inverse P^-1, and exponent e^tM. They mention that they are struggling with the process and the book they have is not helpful. The other person provides a detailed explanation for finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors and mentions that there is no simple way to solve the equation for eigenvalues. They also mention that P is the matrix with the eigenvectors as its columns.
phantomAI
I was wondering if anyone could help me out by better explaining the process in doing each step. I would have gone to my professor but I tend to get lost even more. The book that I have doesn't even help.

Example:
[5 1 2
2 3 2
2 2 4]

Find
*eigenvalues
*eigenvectors
*matrix P and its inverse P^-1 such that P^-1 is a diagonal matrix D.
*exponent e^tM

eigenvectors I usually

[5-x 1 2
2 3-x 2
2 2 4-x]

This isn't a homework question, but I want to know how to do all these. Thanks.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[5-x 1 2
2 3-x 2
2 2 4-x]

Okay, the determinant, expanding along the first row, is:

(5-x)|3-x 2| - 1|2 2| + 2|2 3-x|
|2 4-x| |2 4-x| |2 2|

= (5-x)((3-x)(4-x)- 4)- 2(4-x)+ 4+ 2(4- 2(3-x))
= (5-x)(x2-7x+ 12)+ 2x- 8+ 4 +9 + 4x- 6
= 5x2- 35x+ 60- x3+7x2- 12x+ 6x- 1
= -x3+ 12x2-41x+ 59= 0.

There is no simple way to solve that equation (the cubic formula is considerably more coplicated than the quadratic formula) but numerical methods give eigenvalues approximately 7.77, 1.52, 2.72.

Now find the eigenvectors By solving
[5 1 2][x] = [7.77x]
[2 3 2][y] [7.77y]
[2 2 4][z] [7.77z]

( Of course, there will be an infinite number of solutions to that. Take a simple one.)

[5 1 2][x] = [1.52x]
[2 3 2][y] [1.52y]
[2 2 4][z] [1.52z]

[5 1 2][x] = [2.72x]
[2 3 2][y] [2.72y]
[2 2 4][z] [2.72z]

Finally, P is the matrix have those vectors as columns.

Thanks HallsofIvy

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving problems in science, engineering, and many other fields.

2. Why do some people struggle with linear algebra?

Some people may struggle with linear algebra because it requires strong mathematical skills, abstract thinking, and the ability to visualize complex concepts. It also involves a lot of new terminology and notation that can be overwhelming for some.

3. What are the key concepts in linear algebra?

Some key concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and matrix operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems, familiarize yourself with the terminology and notation, and seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed. It also helps to visualize and draw out concepts to better understand them.

5. Can linear algebra be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, linear algebra has numerous applications in the real world, such as in computer graphics, machine learning, physics, finance, and many other fields. It allows for efficient and accurate solutions to complex problems.