Linear Algebra unit vectors

In summary, three unit vectors v1, v2, and v3 are given in R^n with the given conditions: v1 dot v2 = v1 dot v3 = 1/2. The possible values for v2 dot v3 can be found using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the angle between v2 and v3 may range from pi/3 to 5pi/3 in R^2. In R^3, the values for v2 dot v3 can vary depending on the cone around v1. In R^2, there should be discrete values for the angle between v2 and v3.
Punkyc7
Three unit vectors v1 v2 and v3 are in R^n. We are told that v1 dot v2= v1 dot v3=1/2. What are the possible values of v2 dot v3. What could the angle be between the vectors v2 and v3 give example for the cases in R^2 and R^3.

costheta = (x dot y)/((magnitude of x)(magnitude of y)

I tried using the cauchy schwarts inequality and i got the angle to be between pi/3 and 5pi/3 in R^2. I am not sure how to do R^3 or how to find the values for v2 dot v3? I am assuming that v2 dot v3 must be less then 1

Physics news on Phys.org
u know v1 dot v2 = |v1||v2|cos(t), same with v3

In R2, there should only be discrete values for t, how many?

In R3 consider a cone around the vector v1

1. What is a unit vector in linear algebra?

A unit vector in linear algebra is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is used to represent the direction of a vector without changing its length.

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction, but a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors in linear algebra?

Unit vectors are important in linear algebra because they provide a way to represent direction without changing the length of a vector. They are also used in mathematical calculations and transformations.

4. Can a vector have more than one unit vector?

No, a vector can only have one unit vector. This is because the unit vector is unique to a specific vector and represents its direction.

5. How are unit vectors used in 3D graphics and computer graphics?

In 3D graphics and computer graphics, unit vectors are often used to represent the orientation and direction of objects. They are also used in calculations for lighting and shading effects.