1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Using Gaussian elimination to find linear independence in vectors

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Are the vectors a = [1 -1 0 1], b = [1 0 0 1] and c =
    [0 -1 0 1] linearly independent?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am mainly confused about whether or not I should have my matrix in row or column form to solve this:

r 1 -1 0 1
    s 1 0 0 1
    t 0 -1 0 1

or
    r s t
    1 1 0
    -1 0 -1
    0 0 0
    1 1 1

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The standard method is to write the matrix having the vectors as columns. However, that is only a convention. Doing it the other way should give the same result- the vectors will be independent, doing this the first way, if you do NOT get a row of all 0s. Doing it writing the vectors as rows, the vectors will be independent if you do NOT get a column of all 0s.

However, if you have trouble remembering this, it appears you are trying to memorize a method that is, to you, arbitrary. Personally, I prefer to use the definition of "linear independent" which you should have learned anyway. A set of vectors is "linearly independent" if and only if the only linear combination that is equal to the 0 vector has all coefficients equal to 0. That is, in this case, if a<1, -1, 0, 1>+ b<1, 0, 0, 1>+ c<0, -1, 0, 1>= <0, 0, 0, 0> then we must have a= b= c= 0. Is that true?

Of course, that gives <a+ b, -a- c, 0, a+ b+ c>= <0, 0, 0, 0> or the three equations a+ b= 0, -a-c= 0, a+b+ c= 0. From the first b= -a and from the second, c= -a. Put those into the third equation and solve for a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook