1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra vector spaces

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the set of all complex-valued functions, f, on the real line such that
    f(-t)= f(t) with a bar over it, which denotes complex conjugation.
    Show that V, with the operations
    (f+g)(t)= f(t)+g(t)
    (cf)(t)=cf(t)
    is a vector space over the field of real numbers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what complex conjugation means, so I have no idea where to start with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let [itex]x,y=\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then [itex]z=x+iy\in\mathbb{C}[/itex]. The complex conjugate of [itex]z[/itex] is [itex]\overline{z}=x-iy[/itex].

So you have a function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]f(-t)=\overline{f(t)}[/itex]. You can rewrite [itex]f(t)[/itex] as [itex]f(t)=u(t)+iv(t)[/itex], where [itex]u,v[/itex] are real valued functions of a real variable [itex]t[/itex].

Chew on that and see if you don't know how to start.

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    I'm still not sure what to do. I have to show all the properties of a vector space, right?
    But I'm not sure how to write it out and everything.
    Like, for vector addition, do I add another fuction g(t)=x(t)+iy(t) where x,y are real valued and then add f(t)+g(t) and show it equals g(t)+f(t)?

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you have to show that all the properties of a vector space hold. That f(t)+g(t)=g(t)+f(t) is obvious because the functions are complex valued. The real heart of the matter (as far as vector addition goes) is showing that f(t)+g(t) is even IN the vector space. That is, you have to show that (f+g)(-t)=(f+g)(t)-bar (sorry, Latex isn't working).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook