1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Vectors

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane flies at 400 km/h [south 30 degrees east]. The wind is blowing from the east at 100 km/h. Find the resulting speed of the plane.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

I've drawn a diagram similar to this:

|\
    | \
    | \
    |30\
    | \
    | \ 400 km/h
    | \
    |_____\
    100km/h

I thought this was just a simple question of finding the left side of the triangle, but I don't seem to get the answer. Any hints is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have drawn a 30-60-90 right triangle. If the hypotenuse is 400 km/hr, the base would be 200 km/hr, not 100 km/hr.

Decompose the plane's velocity into a south component and and east component.

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3
    Hmm so would this work?

use 30 degrees and 400 km/h to find the speed going straight south

cos (30) * (south_speed/400)
    south_speed = cos(30) * 400 = 346

Then use speed going straight south and incorporate the 100km/h wind blowing west, use Pythagorean theorem and find the resultant speed(hypotenuse)?

346^2 + 100^2 = 130000^2
    = 360.5

Does that seem right?

5. Oct 30, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Set up a vector for the plane velocity: P = < ?, ?>
    Write a vector for the wind velocity: W = <?, ?>

The resultant velocity is V = P + W and its length is the groundspeed.

6. Oct 30, 2009 #5
    Can you please show me how? I was only only taught how to do it when the points were given.

7. Oct 30, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of the plane as at the origin with the x direction East and y direction North. The direction described as "South 30 degrees East" is the polar coordinate angle -60 degrees. So the plane velocity is given to you in polar coordinates, r = 400 and [itex]\theta = -\pi/3[/itex]. Use the polar coordinate equations to get P = <x, y> for the airplane. And you should easily be able to write the wind vector since you are given its length 100 and direction "from the East".

By the way, I didn't say your answer was incorrect. I'm just trying to show you how you should set up such problems.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  8. Oct 31, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is pretty close. I get a slightly larger figure since I didn't round off what you're calling south_speed, which I get as 346.41 km/hr (approx.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook