1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    Show that every eigenvalue of A is zero iff A is nilpotent (A^k = 0 for k>=1)
    i m having trouble with going from right to left (left to right i got)

we know that det A = product of the eignevalues = 0
    when we solve for the eigenvalues and put hte characteristic polynomial = 0
    [tex] det (\lambda I - A) = det (-A) = 0 [/tex]
    but i have a feeling taht i am not allowed to do that last step because the characteristic polynomial need not be equal to zero.

(Also i do not know the Cayley Hamilton theorem.)

If A is symmetric show taht every eigenvalue of A is nonnegaitve iff A = B^2 for some symmetric matrix B

im not even quite sure where to start with this one! Please help

thank you for any help!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

For the first one, what if there were an eigenvalue that were nonzero? There would be an eigenvector v for that eigenvalue. And then what would A * A * A * A * A * ... * v equal?

For the second one, do you know that if an nxn matrix A is symmetric then A has n eigenvalues? Then simply factor A as PDP^-1, and you should be able to find B. (if you are having trouble with that then think, with A factored into PDP^-1, what is A^2?)
  4. Feb 22, 2006 #3
    then that A A ... v = 0
    and since the eigenvector is not zero (not sure) then A^ n = 0
  5. Feb 22, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

No if there were an eigenvector v for a nonzero eigenvalue k then A * A * A * A * ... * v = k * k * k * k * ... * v
  6. Feb 22, 2006 #5
    but here the eignevalue is zero
    so something like taht , the right hand side is zero
    that leaves A A A A A ... v = 0

what does this lead to , though?
  7. Feb 22, 2006 #6

Science Advisor

What I was trying to show you was a proof by contradiction. What you do is, given that A^k = 0 for some k, assume that A has an eigenvalue that is NOT zero. THEN, you try to show that there is a contradiction, so you can conclude A can't have any nonzero eigenvalues.
  8. Feb 22, 2006 #7
    ok for the second one
    [tex] A = PDP^{-1} [/tex]
    [tex] A^2 = PDDP^{-1} [/tex]
    [tex] A^2 = P D^2 P^{-1} [/tex]
    not sure what happens now though
    i tried removing one of As but that just leads back to the first step
  9. Feb 22, 2006 #8

Science Advisor

But what actually is D^2? Are you familiar with diagonalization? D is a diagonal matrix whose diagonal entries are the eigenvalues of A, and P is a matrix whose columns are the corresponding eigenvectors of A. You can calculate the entries of D^2 easily.

Don't bother looking for a direct way from A^2 to the formula you are looking for, I was only saying compute A^2 as an example that would give you insight on B.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?