1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    Fpr the matrix find a basis for hte kernel and image of [itex} T_{A} [/itex] and find the rank and nullity of [itex] T_{A} [/itex]
    T is a linear transformation

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cccc} 2&1&-1&3 \\ 1&0&3&1 \\ 1&1&-4&2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

the kernel of T simply means to find the null space of A right?
    so when i row reduce i get
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cccc} 1&0&3&1 \\ 0&1&-7&0 \\ 0&0&0&0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

so do i simply find a 3x1 line matrix X such taht AX = 0
    The image means something to do iwth the solution... but there is no augmented form given here... is there??

the basis of A will be the rank T right? Is base A = 2?? So the rank of T = 2?
    the dimensio of the kernel is T is nullity of T... but i need to find the basis for the kernel first

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

The _rank_ of A will be the rank of T. Otherwise you are correct, what you need to do is find all the vectors x such that Ax = 0, from which you can extract a basis.

4. Mar 22, 2006 #3
    ok s oteh rank of kernel of T is 2

what about he nullity, though?? SO basically it asks how many vectors are forming the basis of th kernel?

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

No, the _dimension_ of the kernel of T is 2. That _is_ the nullity.

6. Mar 22, 2006 #5
    ok ok
    so the number of independant rows in A: is the rank of A and that is 2
    that is the tank of Ta yes?

also the rank of the kernel is the number of linearly independant vecotrs that can be formed from AX = 0 right

p.s. are you an orthodontist?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?