Finding and Proving Invertability of 2x2 Matrices

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the first part of the homework statement asks to find all 2x2 matrices where AA=A. The solution involves considering two cases - one where A is the identity matrix and the other where A is a projection operator. For the second part, it is required to prove that if I + a_{1}A + a_{2}A^2 + ... + a_{k}A^k = 0, then A is invertible. This can be shown by rearranging the equation and taking the determinant on both sides, which results in a non-zero determinant and thus proving the invertibility of A.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a) find all the 2x2 matrices where AA=A.
b) prove that if
[tex]
I + a_{1}A + a_{2}A^2 + ... + a_{k}A^k = 0
[/tex]
then A is invertable

Homework Equations

1)det(A) = 0 iff A isn't invertable

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not sure how to approch this. I found that if A is invertable then the only solution is A=I but how do i cover the other cases?

b) by rearanging:
[tex]
A(a_{1}I + a_{2}A^1 + ... + a_{k}A^{k-1}) = -I
[/tex]
and if i take the determinant on each side i see that |A| <> 0 so it's invertable. Is that correct?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b) looks correct.

Regarding a), assume A is regular and see what follows from that. Further on, consider A = I as a special case.

AA=A says that A is a projection operator. So consider what the range of A is. The 'other' case you are after is where it is a one-dimensional subspace of R^2. BTW, you don't have to show det(A) is non-zero, you've constructed an explicit inverse.

You could also just set A=[[a,b],[c,d]] and write the condition A^2=A. You can then eliminate two of the variables (except for singular cases). There are a two parameter family of these babies.

1. What is the definition of invertibility for a 2x2 matrix?

Invertibility refers to a property of a matrix where it has a unique inverse matrix that, when multiplied together, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of a matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. How do I determine if a 2x2 matrix is invertible?

A 2x2 matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be found by subtracting the product of the top left and bottom right elements from the product of the top right and bottom left elements. If the determinant is equal to zero, the matrix is not invertible.

3. Can all 2x2 matrices be inverted?

No, not all 2x2 matrices are invertible. As mentioned before, a matrix must have a non-zero determinant in order to be invertible. If the determinant is equal to zero, the matrix is not invertible.

4. How do I find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

The inverse of a 2x2 matrix can be found by using a specific formula:

[ a b ]^-1 = 1/det * [ d -b ]    [ c d ]         [ -c a ]
Where "det" is the determinant of the original matrix. Simply plug in the values of the original matrix into this formula to find the inverse.

5. What is the significance of invertible matrices in mathematics?

Invertible matrices are important in mathematics because they allow for the solving of systems of linear equations. They can also be used to represent transformations in geometry and are essential in many applications of linear algebra, such as in computer graphics and optimization problems.