1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is given in the attachment below. The relevant information is provided under the "Stereo Audio" heading. Additionally, I have a couple of pieces of extra information not listed in the Stereo Audio section:

M is the component of (column vector) [R, L] on (column vector) [1, 1]
    (This notation means that R and L are two entries in a column vector. The "R" being the upper entry and the "L" being the lower entry. The same applies for the 1 and 1)

D is the component of (column vector) [R, L] on (column vector) [-1, 1]

For the first problem, it asks me to express (M^2) + (D^2) in terms of L and R. Am I correct in writing (M^2) + (D^2) = [(L+R)^2]/4 +[(L-R)^2]/4?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    Is there a reason that my attachment has not been approved? How long does it usually take?
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    Well, I guess I can just post a picture instead. Click the thumbnail image to enlarge.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It takes a while for any link to another site to be approved. (Some brave soul with really really good virus protection has to check it out.)

I don't see that there is really any "Linear Algebra" involved here.

Yes, if M= (L+ R)/2 and D= (L-R)/2 then M2+ D2= (L+R)2/4+ (L-R)2/4. It would be a good idea, I think, to multiply those squares out and combine the fractions.
  6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    Yeah, thats what it seemed to me as well.

Additionally, I can't seem to be able to picture exactly what this scenario would look like graphed. First, we are given M= (L+ R)/2, which appears to be half the length of the vector [R, L]. However, at the same time I am told M is the component of vector [R, L] on [1, 1] (basically, a projection of [R, L] onto the [1, 1] vector) However, it seems these cannot be true at the same time, at least in my mind. So is it possible to graph these based on the given information?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  7. Sep 17, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, (L+ R)/2 is certainly not "half the length of the vector [R,L]"! That would be [itex](1/2)\sqrt{L^2+ R^2}[/itex].
    Drawing a right triangle diagram, you should be able to see that the projection of vector u on vector v has length [itex]|u|sin\theta [/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between u and v. [itex]Since u.v= |u||v|sin\theta[/itex], we can write that as u.v/|v|. In the particular case that u= [L, R] and v= [1, 1] that is [itex](L+ V)/\sqrt{2}[/itex].
  8. Sep 17, 2007 #7
    So is M= (L+ R)/2 a sum of two vectors or the sum of their magnitudes?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?