Solving x1 + hx2=2, 4x1+8x2=k for h and k

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x1 + hx2=2, 4x1+8x2=k represents a system of two linear equations with two variables, x1 and x2. To solve for h and k, algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination can be used. There can be multiple solutions for this equation, and to check if a solution is correct, we can substitute the values into the original equation or graph the equations. This type of equation has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
fk378

Homework Statement

Choose h and k such that the system has
a) no solution
b) a unique solution and,
c) many solutions.

Give separate answers for each part.

x1 + hx2=2
4x1+8x2=k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the matrix

[1 h 2 ]
[4 8 k ]

and I multiplied the top row by -4 and added the 3rd row to it to get

[ 1 ----- h ----- 2 ---]
[ 0 (-4h+8) (-8+k) ]

To get part A) -no solution-, I figured that the 2nd column cannot equal 0, therefore if h=2, and k does not equal 8, then there is no solution.

Here is where I get lost...
I didn't get these answers that the book says:

For part B), unique solution, h does not equal 2...but what does that mean? If h doesn't equal 2 then that means it can take on any value besides 2, therefore k can be almost any value as well.

For part C), many solutions, that books says h=2 and k=8
So that means for the 2nd row you would get 0=0...so wouldn't we just disregard that? then we are left with the 1st row saying 1(x1)+2(x2)=2

I don't understand parts B and C.

Another question: Am I right to assume that we're just looking at -4h+8 here? Or should I also be considering -8+k??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about determinants and Cramer's rule?

Nope I do not.

Ok! Solve the first equation for [tex]x_1[/tex] and substitude the result into the second one.
In order to solve the reduced equation for [itex]x_2[/itex] it's coefficient must be non-zero.

If you have learned what is reduced-row echelon forms for a matrix, then you would observe that in order for the unknowns to be solvable for 1 solution, then the reduced-row echelon form of the matrix is the identity matrix. You do know how to use elementary row operations, do you?

For the part C, note that is required that you obtain a row of 0s in your matrix for its reduced-row echelon form.

fk378 said:

Homework Statement

Choose h and k such that the system has
a) no solution
b) a unique solution and,
c) many solutions.

Give separate answers for each part.

x1 + hx2=2
4x1+8x2=k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the matrix

[1 h 2 ]
[4 8 k ]

and I multiplied the top row by -4 and added the 3rd row to it to get

[ 1 ----- h ----- 2 ---]
[ 0 (-4h+8) (-8+k) ]

To get part A) -no solution-, I figured that the 2nd column cannot equal 0, therefore if h=2, and k does not equal 8, then there is no solution.

Here is where I get lost...
I didn't get these answers that the book says:

For part B), unique solution, h does not equal 2...but what does that mean? If h doesn't equal 2 then that means it can take on any value besides 2, therefore k can be almost any value as well.
That means exactly the opposite of what you said in part A. "If h= 2 and k does not equal 8, then there is no solution" If h is any number other than 2, then you can solve for x2 and so for x1. You will have exactly one solution.

For part C), many solutions, that books says h=2 and k=8
So that means for the 2nd row you would get 0=0...so wouldn't we just disregard that? then we are left with the 1st row saying 1(x1)+2(x2)=2
WHY did you say in part A "and k does not equal 8, then there is no solution"? In part A, if h= 2 and k is not 8 then you have, for the last row, 0 0 8-k, which is equivalent to the equation 0x1+ 0x2= 8-k. If 8-k is not 0, there are NO values of x1 and x2 which will satisfy that. If 8-k= 0, you have 0 0 0, equivalent to 0x1+0x2= 0 which is true for ALL x1, x2. You are, then left with the 1st row as you say. You could pick any number for, say, x1 and solve for x2: there are an infinite number of solutions.

I don't understand parts B and C.

Another question: Am I right to assume that we're just looking at -4h+8 here? Or should I also be considering -8+k??

Thanks!
To answer what question? As long as -4h+ 8 is not 0, then there exist a unique solution no matter what -8+ k is. But is -4h+ 8= 0, then -8+ k becomes important. If, in that case, -8+ k= 0, there are an infinite number of solutions. If -8+ k is not 0, then there exist NO solution.

1. What does the equation x1 + hx2=2, 4x1+8x2=k represent?

The equation represents a system of two linear equations with two variables, x1 and x2. It is a common type of problem in algebra where the goal is to find the values of the variables that make the equations true.

2. How do you solve for h and k in this equation?

To solve for h and k, we need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination. We can also graph the equations and find the point of intersection, which represents the values of x1 and x2 that satisfy both equations. These values can then be used to solve for h and k.

3. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. If the two equations are parallel, there will be no solution. If they intersect at one point, there will be one unique solution. If they intersect at multiple points, there will be infinitely many solutions.

4. How do you check if a solution is correct?

To check if a solution is correct, we can substitute the values of x1 and x2 into the original equation and see if it satisfies both equations. If it does, then the solution is correct. We can also graph the equations and see if the point of intersection matches the values of x1 and x2 we found.

5. What real-world applications does this equation have?

This type of equation has many real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving two variables, such as distance and time, cost and revenue, or supply and demand.