1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1

Gold Member

Let [tex]\vec{u},\vec{v},\vec{w}[/tex] be fixed vectors in Rn. Define S to be the set of all vectors in Rn which are linear combinations of the form [tex]k_1 \vec{u}+k_2 \vec{v}+3 \vec{w}[/tex], where [tex]k_1,k_2 \in R[/tex]. Is S a subspace of Rn?

Im a little stuck with this one. Ive tried defining two vectors, [tex]\vec{x},\vec{y} \in S[/tex] and then forming a linear combination of the two, to get:

a\overrightarrow x + b\overrightarrow y = (ak_1 + bc_1 )\overrightarrow u + (ak_2 + bc_2 )\overrightarrow v + (3a + 3b)\overrightarrow w

\overrightarrow x = k_1 \overrightarrow u + k_2 \overrightarrow v + 3\overrightarrow w \\
    \overrightarrow y = c_1 \overrightarrow u + c_2 \overrightarrow v + 3\overrightarrow w \\

Thats where im lost; im not even sure if ive taken the right approach. From this i can see that the linear combination of vectors x and y results in an expression containing linear combinations of vectors u and v, but its the w vector thats causing me problems.

Any hints are greatly appreciated :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2
    Why is it causing problems? Is the result of adding those two vectors together in the given set?
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Well i would be inclined to say no since the linear combination of x and y is not explicitly of the same form as the vectors in S, but i didnt think it was as simple as that.
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    When can you make it of the same form? When can't you make it of the same form?
  6. Jul 17, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Well if a+b=1 then it will be of the same form. Is that what you are getting at?
  7. Jul 17, 2008 #6
    No, since we have to do this for all a and b.

It may help you to think about whether the 0 vector is in the set or not.
  8. Jul 17, 2008 #7

Gold Member

Well if w was the zero vector itself, then yes the zero vector is in the set (k1,k2=0). It is also in the set when w is linearly dependent on u and v?

Hmm alright if w is linearly dependent on u and v, then the expression CAN be written in the form required. I could write the (3a+3b)w=Kw (K=3a+3b) part as 3w + (K-3)w, and then write the w in terms of u and v, which would put it in the correct form.

If it is linearly independent, then would i be correct to say that it is not in the set?

So is that what you meant? There are two cases for this question?
  9. Jul 17, 2008 #8
    Yes there are two cases. What is your geometric visualisation for this question? If you think about what that set describes, then it is clear that it is a subspace if and only if w is in the plane spanned by u and v.

What is the set? It is the plane spanned by u and v translated by 3w. This can only be a plane through the origin if 3w (equivalently w) is in the span of u and v
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?