1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=(1/2)*(x^T)*(A)*(x)-(x^T)*(b)

Show that the gradient of f(x) is (1/2)*[((A^T)+A)*x]-(b)

where x^transpose is transpose of x and A^transpose is transpose of A.

Note: A is real matrix n*n and b is a column matrix n

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to kinda proof that.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write it in index notation. (1/2)*x_i*A_ij*x_j+x_i*b_i. All indices summed. Now dx_i/dx_k=delta(i,k). You kinda knew that, right? Use the product rule on the A part.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    All indices summed. Now dx_i/dx_k=delta(i,k).

what do you mean by that?

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you write it in index notation? By dx_i/dx_k=delta(i,k) I mean the derivative is 1 if i=k and 0 if i is not equal k.

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    I think that I may be able to make the function into index notation form.
    If I make the equation to be (1/2)*x_i*A_ij*x_j+x_i*b_i, I then take the derivative respect with x_k? How this will work?
    If k=i, after taking the derivative the equation will become (1/2)*1*A_ij*x_j+1*b_i. What I will have to do for the A_ij? I have not learned how to do the product rule of a matrix yet.
    Will k=i and j so that I will have to do 2 derivative of i and j? if so how this works?

7. Oct 11, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have a matrix anymore once you indexed everything out. There are two x's on the first term one on the right and one on the left which is why you are getting A+A^T.

8. Oct 12, 2008 #7
    would you mind to show me the steps to get from f(x)=(1/2)*(x^T)*(A)*(x)-(x^T)*(b) to (1/2)*[((A^T)+A)*x]-(b).

I did a lot of research about this problem these days. I found a relation: D[f(x)^Tg(x)] = g(x)^Tf'(x) + f(x)^Tg'(x). however i am not convinced. I am sorry this is the first time i do this kinda proof. I can't handle it.

9. Oct 12, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't do that until you at least make a try at the problem. I've told you what to do. The gradient of f(x) is the vector (df(x)/dx_1,df(x)/dx_2,...df(x)/dx_n). Write out the expression as a summation over indices and take d/dx_k of it.

10. Oct 12, 2008 #9
    hi dick thankz i think that i got it YEAH! XD

I have another question if i want to find all the matrices for X that satisfies this equation A*X*B^T = C. How should I deal with this problem? should i also make that into index notation?

B^T is the transpose of B.

11. Oct 12, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are A or B invertible?

12. Oct 12, 2008 #11
    It doesn't really say. This is the original question:
    Find all matrices X that satisfy the equation A*X*B^T = C, in terms of the LU
    factorizations of A and B. State the precise conditions under which there are no
    solutions.

13. Oct 12, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really not an expert on LU factorization stuff. I think you should post this in a new thread so other people can take a crack at it.

14. Oct 12, 2008 #13
    Thanks Man anyway. You are my big help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?