Proving that T=T* for a Normal Linear Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a linear transformation T is equal to its adjoint T* by showing that its eigenvalues are real. The conversation also considers using the theorem that a normal transformation with a characteristic polynomial that can be factored into linear factors over real numbers is Hermitian. However, the conversation concludes that this approach does not work and asks for assistance in finding a solution.
LeifEricson

Homework Statement

let [tex]T:V \to V[/tex] be a linear transformation which satisfies [tex]T^2 = \frac{1}{2} (T + T^*) [/tex] and is normal. Prove that [tex]T=T^*[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we should start like this:
Let [tex]\mathbf{A}=[T]_B[/tex] be the matrix representation of T in the orthonormal base [tex]B[/tex]. We look at A as a matrix in the Complex plane. If we prove that for every Eigenvalue, [tex]\lambda[/tex], it happens that [tex]\lambda \in \mathbb{R}[/tex], then [tex]T = T^*[/tex] by a theorem and we finished.
Now, be [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] an Eigenvector that satisfies [tex]\mathbf{Ax} = \lambda \mathbf{x}[/tex], then [tex]<\mathbf{Ax},\mathbf{x}> = \lambda ||\mathbf{x}||^2[/tex] and [tex] \lambda = \frac{<\mathbf{Ax},\mathbf{x}>}{||\mathbf{x}||^2}[/tex]. If only I could show that [tex]<\mathbf{Ax},\mathbf{x}>[/tex] is a real number, I solved it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that the transformation is hermitian, once you do it's pretty east to prove that eigenvalues of a hermitian transformation are real.

It doesn't help me, because I plan to show that the transformation is Hermitian by the following theorem:
"If T is a normal transformation whose Characteristic polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors over [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], then T is Hermitian".
And then it follows, of course, that T = T*

Can someone help me please? I work on it two days. Nothing works. Please. I spent hours.

1. What is a Normal Linear Transformation?

A Normal Linear Transformation is a type of linear transformation in which the transformation preserves the orthogonality of vectors. This means that the transformation does not change the angle between any two vectors in the original vector space.

2. Why is proving that T=T* important in Normal Linear Transformations?

Proving that T=T* is important because it shows that the transformation is self-adjoint, meaning that the transformation and its adjoint (conjugate transpose) are equal. This property is necessary for a transformation to be considered normal.

3. How do you prove that T=T* for a Normal Linear Transformation?

To prove that T=T* for a Normal Linear Transformation, you need to show that the transformation satisfies the condition T*T=T*T*, where T* is the adjoint of T. This can be done using mathematical proofs and properties of linear transformations.

4. What are some examples of Normal Linear Transformations?

Some examples of Normal Linear Transformations include rotations, reflections, and scalings in 2D and 3D spaces. Additionally, any unitary transformation, such as a Fourier transform, is also a normal linear transformation.

5. How does proving that T=T* relate to the eigenvalues of a Normal Linear Transformation?

Proving that T=T* for a Normal Linear Transformation is equivalent to showing that all of the eigenvalues of the transformation are real numbers. This is because the adjoint and the eigenvalues of a transformation are related through the complex conjugate. Therefore, if T=T*, the eigenvalues must also be real.