Proving Invertibility of Matrix Sum: A+B

• Thread starter sweetiepi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Sum
In summary, to prove that A+B is invertible, we can use the theorem that states the product of invertible matrices is also invertible. By multiplying A^-1 and B^-1, we get A^-1 + B^-1, which is also invertible. Therefore, A+B is invertible.
sweetiepi

Homework Statement

Let A and B be invertible matrices such that A^-1 + B^-1 is also invertible. Prove that A+B is invertible.

Homework Equations

A(A^-1) = I
B(B^-1) = I
(A^-1+B^-1)(A^-1+B^-1)^-1 = I

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to manipulate these equations to make something work, but I just can't seem to find the right combination.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, me neither. I think we take the same class at the same school XD

sweetiepi said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be invertible matrices such that A^-1 + B^-1 is also invertible. Prove that A+B is invertible.

Homework Equations

A(A^-1) = I
B(B^-1) = I
(A^-1+B^-1)(A^-1+B^-1)^-1 = I

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to manipulate these equations to make something work, but I just can't seem to find the right combination.

Hint:Try to get A+B by multiplying the terms implied in the problem statement.

Last edited:
Thanks Scigatt. Your hint reminds me of a theorem that said "The product of invertible matrices is invertible." It's so simple when you put it like that.

1. How do you prove the invertibility of a matrix sum?

The invertibility of a matrix sum can be proved by showing that the sum of two matrices A and B results in a matrix C, where the determinant of C is non-zero. This means that C has an inverse and thus, A+B is invertible.

2. What is the significance of proving the invertibility of a matrix sum?

Proving the invertibility of a matrix sum is important because it ensures that the sum of two matrices can be inverted, which is crucial in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It also allows for the use of various matrix operations, such as inverse and determinant, on the matrix sum.

3. Can a matrix sum be invertible if one of the matrices is not invertible?

No, a matrix sum can only be invertible if both matrices involved are invertible. If one of the matrices is not invertible, then the resulting matrix sum will also not be invertible.

4. What is the relation between the invertibility of a matrix sum and the invertibility of each individual matrix?

The invertibility of a matrix sum is dependent on the invertibility of each individual matrix involved. If both matrices are invertible, then their sum will also be invertible. However, if one of the matrices is not invertible, then the resulting matrix sum will also not be invertible.

5. Are there any special cases where a matrix sum may still be invertible even if one of the matrices is not invertible?

Yes, there are some special cases where a matrix sum may still be invertible even if one of the matrices is not invertible. For example, if one of the matrices is a zero matrix, then the matrix sum will still be invertible. Additionally, if the non-invertible matrix is a scalar multiple of the other matrix, then the matrix sum will also be invertible.