1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra !

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    Find the matrix A of the orthogonal projection onto the line L in R2 that consists of all scalar multiples of the vector [2 5]T .

OK...I really don't know how to start off with this problem. If somehow could just help me out there I will try to muddle my way through the rest ! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2
    OK...now I've thought about this...I should use the formula
    1/(1+m2) [1 m ]
    ________[m m2]

using 2x+5y = 0 my slope m = -2/5

but my numbers come out backwards ...

4. Dec 4, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your line is supposed to contain scalar multiples of [2 5]^T. Quick test-is [2 5]^T on the line 2x+5y = 0?

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    ok...now I'm really lost! I thought I made an equation from the given vector...so what do I do instead ?

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You do make a line from the vector. Find two points on the line spanned by the vector, (0,0) and (2,5) will work. The y-intercept is therefore 0 and the slope is (5-0)/(2-0)=5/2. The line you gave has -2/5, so something was off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?