1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    1. If I: W-->W is the identity linear operator on W defined by I(w) = w for w in W, prove that the matrix of I repect with to any ordered basis T for W is a nXn I matrix, where dim W= n

2. Let L: W-->W be a linear operator defined by L(w) = bw, where b is a constant. Prove that the representation of L with respect to any ordered basis for W is a scalar matrix.

3. Let X,Y, Z be sqaure matrices. Show that: (a) X is similar to Y. (b) If X is similar to Y then Y is similar to X. (c) If X is similar to Y and Y is similar to Z, then X is similar to Z.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2
    Let [itex]E_{ij}[/itex] be the elements of the matrix of the identity operator in some ordered basis of W, with basis vectors [itex]\vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, ... , \vec{e}_n[/itex]. If [itex]w_j[/itex] are the coordinates of any vector w in that basis, then

[tex]w_i^\prime = \sum_j E_{ij} w_j[/tex]

By definition, the identity operator transforms the vector w back into itself, so that [itex]w_i^\prime = w_i[/itex]. Then using the elements [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] (kronecker delta) of the identity matrix, we have

[tex] w_i = \sum_j \delta_{ij} w_j = w_i^\prime = \sum_j E_{ij} w_j[/tex]

or, after subtracting

[tex]\sum_j (E_{ij} - \delta_{ij}) w_j = 0[/tex] for each i.

Since the w_j's are arbitrary, we must have that [itex]E_{ij} = \delta_{ij}[/itex] for all i and j.

edit: by the way, in the step where I set [itex]w_i^\prime = w_i[/itex] for all i, I have assumed that the coordinates of a given vector w in a particular basis are unique. This is easy to prove using the fact that the elements of the basis are linearly independent, by definition.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?