1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra

1. Nov 16, 2003 #1
    I am having trouble with the following question. (Just hoping to get some guidance, recommended texts etc.):

"Consider an eigenvalue problem Ax = λx, where A is a real symmetric n*n matrix, the transpose of the matrix coincides with the matrix, (A)^T = A. Find all the eigenvalues and all the eigenvectors. Assume that n is a large number."

Any help would be fantastic!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2003 #2
    Don't know how much help I can be, but since I am studying the same material at the moment, I will help with what I can.

The eigenvalues of A are equal to the eigenvalues of A^T because det(A-λI)=det(A^T-λI). The diagonal/trace stays the same here.

(I am guessing on the next part, as our book does not cover this)
    Normally, for non-symmetric matrices the eigenvectors are not the same. However, in your case, since A^T=A then (and I am guessing here) I would tend to believe that Laplace expansions would end up yielding equal eigenvectors as well.

4. Nov 25, 2003 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Re: Re: Linear Algebra

If A^T = A then A is symmetric, no? Does this help?

5. Nov 25, 2003 #4
    Yes, A is symmetric when A^T=A.

First of all, I was wrong about the eigenvectors of A and A^T being the same. They are not. However, I cannot help as to why, as our text offers only two sentences in this matter. Further, I do not believe I am at a level of knowledge upon which speculation would prove fruitful. Hmm.. let's see. I can give you some links that will hopefully be of some help.

We are using a book by Gilbert Strang from MIT. He has quite a bit of information on his/the books website, as well as fully recorded lectures. Here is his site.

http://web.mit.edu/18.06/www/

I am sorry I can be of little help with this, but I hope this can help you shed some light on the problem.

6. Nov 28, 2003 #5
    Thanx bro,

I know, its a tough subject, cheers for the link. Now that all other coursework is out of the way I will crack on with this and post my findings when I find something.

Good luck with your course as well,

cheers,

Dexter

7. Nov 28, 2003 #6
    Please do, as I am quite curious now.
    Good luck as well with your course!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?