Linear amplitude decay function

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical function that models linear amplitude decay in a periodic mechanical motion. It is suggested to use a decreasing linear function instead of an exponential one, and an example function is provided. There is also a discussion on adjusting parameters to fit the actual data plot.
houlahound
I collected data on a periodic mechanical motion. The amplitude is damped linearly. What mathematical function models linear amplitude decay. All I can find is exponential decay of a sine wave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of multiplying the sine with an exponential, you can multiply it with a linear function.

hi all. I tried multiplying by a linear function ie;

-0.1x*sin(20x)

to get;

upload_2016-8-8_12-2-34.png
in comparison an exponential multiplying factor gives this with the envelope of the amplitude decreasing exponentially;
upload_2016-8-8_12-1-34.png
my data looks like this with a linear envelope;

upload_2016-8-8_12-4-29.png

the linear multiplier clearly does not work to model this data. this should be a simple model but my math is not working.

any tips to general models to account for the data above appreciated.

Your amplitude decreases so you need to multiply by a decreasing linear function, something like (1-x) rather than x.

Actually your decay may be exponential but the time constant is much larger than the period of the periodic function.
So you will have something like
## e^{ \frac{-t}{\tau}} sin(\omega t) ##
If t is much smaller than ## \tau ## this can be approximated by
## (1-\frac{t}{\tau})sin(\omega t) ##
and will look like a linear decay of the sin wave.

I might have to calculate by hand but my plotting tool for this input as you suggest;

upload_2016-8-8_13-18-24.png

gives the following output;

upload_2016-8-8_13-19-18.png

Look at your linear part: It starts at 1, then goes to zero for x=2. You plot it up to x=100 where it is increasing in magnitude again.

Try something like 1-0.01*x if you want an x-range up to 100.

It looks like your sine function takes degrees as input, which is quite odd in the context of those problems.

Your data plot has no unit so it is impossible to guess reasonable values of parameters.
You need to adjust the parameters in the function to fit your actual plot.

If you extend the plot beyond 10 s the amplitude it will increase.

Here is an example of parameters showing the desired behavior:
f[t] = (1 - t/10) Sin[2 t]

Decay.jpg
hébergeur d image gratuit

Last edited:
Likes houlahound
I wish I could like your post more than once, you nailed it.

will put up some data next chance I get.cheers

1. What is a Linear Amplitude Decay Function?

A Linear Amplitude Decay Function is a mathematical function that describes the gradual decrease in amplitude or strength of a signal over time. It is commonly used to model the attenuation of sound or light waves as they travel through a medium.

2. How is a Linear Amplitude Decay Function represented?

A Linear Amplitude Decay Function can be represented by the equation y = ae-bx, where a is the initial amplitude, b is the decay constant, and x is the distance or time traveled.

3. What factors affect the rate of amplitude decay in a linear function?

The rate of amplitude decay in a linear function is primarily affected by the distance or time traveled, as well as the properties of the medium through which the signal is traveling. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

4. How is a Linear Amplitude Decay Function different from an Exponential Decay Function?

A Linear Amplitude Decay Function decreases at a constant rate, while an Exponential Decay Function decreases at an increasing rate. In other words, the slope of a Linear Amplitude Decay Function is constant, while the slope of an Exponential Decay Function becomes steeper over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of Linear Amplitude Decay Functions?

Linear Amplitude Decay Functions are commonly used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics to model the decrease in signal strength over distance or time. They are also used in financial analysis to model the depreciation of assets over time.