Conservation of Momentum in an Atom Interaction

In summary: Yes, it seems like a strange problem to me too. I think the only way to get different velocities is if the atoms are interacting with some external force, but that's not mentioned in the problem statement. In summary, The system of two atoms with equal mass and opposite velocities in region R of space conserves both linear and angular momentum, with the center of mass remaining at its original position. The velocity of the other atom after the interaction is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the first atom's velocity. The trajectory of the other atom is a straight line at X=b, for Y<0. By using conservation of angular momentum, we can relate the impact parameters with the velocities of the atoms, which should be equal if energy is
cacofolius
angular linear momentum.jpg

Homework Statement

Two atoms of equal mass m, that move with the same speed but opposite direction, interact when they're in some region R of space, as in fig.1. After the interaction, one of the atoms moves with velocity ## \vec{V1} ## as in fig.2.

a) Are the linear and angular momentum of the system conserved?
b) Calculate the velocity of the center of mass, before, during and after the interaction.
c) Find the position of the center of mass, before, during and after the interaction.
d) What is the velocity of the other atom after the interaction ?
e) Find the trajectory of the other atom after the interaction.
f) Compare ## \vec{V1} ## with ## \vec{V0} ## for different values of the impact parameter a, that is, in the cases where a>b, a=b, a<b.

Homework Equations

## \vec{p} \equiv m\vec{v} ##

## \vec{L} = \vec{r} X \vec{p} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I thought that since there are no external forces acting on the system, both angular and linear momentums are conserved.
c) Since both atoms have the same mass and speed but opposite directions, and are at the same distance from the center O of the coordinate system, the center of mass stays there before, during and after the interaction.
b) From the above, the velocity of the center of mass equals cero at all times.
d) Since momentum must be conserved, the velocity of the other atom must be ## \vec{V} = - V1 \hat{j} ##
e) The trajectory of the other atom should be a straight line at X=b, for Y<0. Is this a correct way to put it?
f) This I don't know quite well how to put it, it seems to me that for a=b , V=V1 from simmetry, but I don't know in the other two cases.

Can anyone give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of angular momentum.

Ok, using your hint, I thought that since a is the only component of the distance ## \vec{r} ## that's involved in the cross product, I get for the first case:

## \vec{L} = 2a m V0 ##

and using the same reasoning in the second case I get

## \vec{L}= 2bmV1 ##

Since they should be equal, I finally get a/b = V1/V0, from where I can relate the impact parameters with the velocities. Is this correct?.

Looks good. This problem seems a little strange to me since I don't see how you can get anything other than V0 = V1 if energy is to be conserved.

Thanks!

1. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity in a straight line. Angular momentum, on the other hand, is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity around a specific axis. While linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, angular momentum is a measure of its rotational motion.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that the total angular momentum of a system before and after an interaction or event remains the same. This principle is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

3. How does an object's shape affect its angular momentum?

An object's shape, or its moment of inertia, plays a crucial role in determining its angular momentum. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to change their rotational speed, and therefore have a higher angular momentum. This is why a spinning figure skater can increase their rotational speed by pulling their arms closer to their body, reducing their moment of inertia.

4. How do forces and torques affect linear and angular momentum?

Forces and torques are related to changes in an object's linear and angular momentum, respectively. A force applied to an object can change its velocity, therefore changing its linear momentum. Similarly, a torque applied to an object can change its angular velocity, changing its angular momentum. Both linear and angular momentum are conserved in a closed system, so any changes in one type of momentum must be offset by changes in the other.

5. Can an object have both linear and angular momentum?

Yes, an object can have both linear and angular momentum at the same time. For example, a rotating ball has both a linear velocity and an angular velocity, resulting in both linear and angular momentum. However, the total momentum of the object remains constant, as the changes in linear and angular momentum offset each other.