Can Angular Momentum Equations Be Adapted from Linear Momentum Formulas?

• Thread starter lefnire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the equation for obtaining the final velocity of object 1 using the conservation of linear momentum with a known coefficient of restitution (COR) is V1,f= (COR+1)M2V2-V1(M1-COR*M2)/(M1+M2). Additionally, the conservation of linear momentum looks like 'mv', while the conservation of angular momentum looks like 'Iω'. It is possible to substitute 'I' for every 'm' and 'ω' for every 'v' in the previous equation, but it is important to consider the definition of the COR for each problem.
lefnire
using the conservation of linear momentum with a known coefficient of restitution (COR), one can obtain the final velocity of object 1 with this eq'n:
Code:
V1,f= [U](COR+1)M2V2-V1(M1-COR*M2)[/U]
               M1+M2

conservation of linear momentum looks like 'mv', where conservation of angular momentum looks like 'Iω'. Based on this, can I sub in 'I' for every 'm' and 'ω' for every 'v' in the previous equation, such that

Code:
ω1,f= [U](COR+1)I2ω2-ω1(I1-COR*I2)[/U]
               I1+I2

?

Physics news on Phys.org
lefnire said:
using the conservation of linear momentum with a known coefficient of restitution (COR), one can obtain the final velocity of object 1 with this eq'n:
Code:
V1,f= [U](COR+1)M2V2-V1(M1-COR*M2)[/U]
               M1+M2

conservation of linear momentum looks like 'mv', where conservation of angular momentum looks like 'Iω'. Based on this, can I sub in 'I' for every 'm' and 'ω' for every 'v' in the previous equation, such that

Code:
ω1,f= [U](COR+1)I2ω2-ω1(I1-COR*I2)[/U]
               I1+I2

?

I will go so far as to answer this question with a "yes," but have some care.

It all depends on how you define the COR. Obviously, the COR associated with the linear problem will not be the same as the COR associated with the rotational problem...

-Dan

Yes, you can substitute the moment of inertia (I) for mass (m) and angular velocity (ω) for linear velocity (v) in the equation for conservation of linear momentum. This is because both linear momentum and angular momentum are conserved quantities, meaning that they do not change in a closed system. Therefore, the same principles and equations can be applied to both types of momentum.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity. It is also a vector quantity.

3. How are linear and angular momentum related?

Linear and angular momentum are related through the principle of conservation of momentum. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning that any changes in linear momentum are offset by equal changes in angular momentum and vice versa.

4. What is coefficient of restitution (COR)?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision between two objects. It is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation by the relative velocity of approach.

5. How is COR related to momentum conservation?

The COR is directly related to momentum conservation, as it represents the ratio of the final to initial momentum of colliding objects. In elastic collisions, where kinetic energy is conserved, the COR is equal to 1. In inelastic collisions, where kinetic energy is not conserved, the COR is less than 1.