Linear Approximation of 3 Variables: Formula Check

In summary, the conversation was about modifying a formula for linear approximation of two independent variables to include a third variable. The modified formula was provided and someone was asked to quickly check if it was correct. It was also suggested to rigorously justify the modified expression when time permits.
tandoorichicken
My book gives a formula for linear approximation of two independent variables, but I needed one for three. So I modified the formula given in the book, but I need someone to please just quickly see if it looks okay.

Given:
[tex]f(x,y)=z=f(x_0,y_0)+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} (x_0,y_0)) (x-x_0) + (\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} (x_0,y_0)) (y-y_0)[/tex]

Modified:
[tex]f(x,y,z)=f(x_0,y_0,z_0)+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} (x_0,y_0,z_0)) (x-x_0) + (\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} (x_0,y_0,z_0)) (y-y_0)+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} (x_0,y_0,z_0)) (z-z_0)[/tex]

Does this look alright?
It looks fine to me but I'm prone to overlooking glaring errors :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot.

When you have time, you might want to see if you can rigorously justify that expression!

1. What is the formula for linear approximation of 3 variables?

The formula for linear approximation of 3 variables is y = f(x0, y0, z0) + (∂f/∂x)(x-x0) + (∂f/∂y)(y-y0) + (∂f/∂z)(z-z0), where f is a function of three variables x, y, and z, and (x0, y0, z0) is the point at which the approximation is being made.

2. How do I use the formula for linear approximation of 3 variables?

In order to use the formula for linear approximation of 3 variables, you need to first determine the values of x, y, and z at the point you want to approximate. Then, you need to calculate the partial derivatives (∂f/∂x), (∂f/∂y), and (∂f/∂z) at that point. Finally, plug these values into the formula to calculate the approximate value of f(x, y, z).

3. What is the purpose of linear approximation of 3 variables?

The purpose of linear approximation of 3 variables is to estimate the value of a function at a specific point using the values of the function and its partial derivatives at that point. This can be useful in many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of physical systems or optimizing mathematical models.

4. Can the formula for linear approximation of 3 variables be extended to more than 3 variables?

Yes, the formula for linear approximation of 3 variables can be extended to any number of variables. The general formula for linear approximation with n variables is y = f(x1, x2, ..., xn) + (∂f/∂x1)(x1-x01) + (∂f/∂x2)(x2-x02) + ... + (∂f/∂xn)(xn-x0n), where (x01, x02, ..., x0n) is the point at which the approximation is being made.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear approximation of 3 variables?

Linear approximation of 3 variables is only accurate for small changes in the variables around the point of approximation. As the variables move further away from this point, the approximation becomes less accurate. Additionally, this method is only applicable to functions that are differentiable at the point of approximation.