1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear approximation

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding how the book obtained the solution.

Here is the question

A function f is given along with a local linear approximation of L to f at a point P. Use the information given to determine point P.

f(x,y)= x2+y2; L(x,y)=2y-2x-2

Formula for local linear approximation is

f(x,y)+fx(x,y)+fy(x,y)=L(x,y)

So plugging in my known values

x02+y02+2x0(x-x0)+2y0(y-y0)=x2+y2

I was able to get up to here, and then when I looked at the solution in the book, it simply said x0=-1 y0 =1 and it isn't obvious to me why.

Any help is appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That isn't correct.

That is the correct linear approximation near ##(x_0,y_0)##. Buy why do you set it equal to your original ##f(x,y)##? The linear approximation is an approximation to ##f(x,y)## but not equal to it unless ##f(x,y)## is linear itself. But you are given the formula for the linear approximation, which I have highlighted in red. Set it equal to that and see if you can see how they got that answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook