Linear Approximation of F(x) at x=1.001

In summary, the function F approximates the linear function f(g(h(x))) at point x=1.001. The chain rule was used to calculate the approximation.
mastermechanic
<Moved from a technical section and thus a template variation>

1-) Question:
Let f, g and h be differentiable everywhere functions with h(1) = 2 , h'(1) = - 3 , g(2) = -1 , g'(2) = 5 , f(-1) = 4 , f'(-1) = 7. Approximate the value of function F(x) = f(g(h(x))) at point x= 1.001

2-) My attempt: I think it's linear approximation question. I've generated the main functions by assuming their derivative as their slope.

If $$ h(1)=2 , h'(1) = -3 , (1,2) h(x) = -3x+5$$
If $$ g(2) = -1 , g'(2) = 5 , (2,-1) g(x) = 5x-11 $$
If $$ f(-1) = 4 , f'(-1) = 7 , (-1,4) f(x) = 7x+11$$

So $$ F(x) = f(g(h(x))) = [ 7[ 5 (-3x + 5) - 11 ] +11] $$

$$ F(x) = -105x + 109 $$
$$F(1.001) = 3.895 $$

Is it correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method is correct, but you've made at least two mistakes. Try checking your expression for F(x) by calculating F(1) and comparing it to f(g(h(1))), which you know. Also, how did you get from your expression for F(x) to the final answer?

It looks like the question is set up for an application of the chain rule. Are you supposed to know the chain rule at this point or is this question preparation for introducing it.

phyzguy said:
I think your method is correct, but you've made at least two mistakes. Try checking your expression for F(x) by calculating F(1) and comparing it to f(g(h(1))), which you know. Also, how did you get from your expression for F(x) to the final answer?
I reached the final equation by putting each function to inside other one.
Thanks for your caution, I've realized that I made some multiplication mistake. When I fixed it , I got $$ F(x) = -105x + 109 $$ and if we put the x=1.001 value get 3.895 which totally make sense now, because as you said when I assumed x as 1 h(1) = 2 g(2) = -1 and f(-1) = 4 so it is too close.

What is linear approximation?

Linear approximation is a mathematical method used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the tangent line at that point. It is based on the idea that a function can be approximated by a straight line in a small interval around that point.

Why is linear approximation useful?

Linear approximation is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of a function at a specific point without having to use complex mathematical methods. It is also helpful in understanding the behavior of a function near a certain point.

What is the formula for linear approximation?

The formula for linear approximation is f(x) ≈ f(a) + f'(a)(x-a), where f(a) represents the value of the function at the point a, and f'(a) represents the derivative of the function at the point a.

How accurate is linear approximation?

The accuracy of linear approximation depends on the interval around the point of approximation. The smaller the interval, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, linear approximation is only an estimation and may not give the exact value of the function at the point.

How is linear approximation used in real life?

Linear approximation is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to estimate values and make predictions. For example, it can be used to estimate the growth of a population or the velocity of an object at a specific time.