1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear approximations

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify the linear approximation tanx = x at a=0.
    Then determine the values of x for which the linear approximation is accurate to within 0.1.

2. Relevant equations
    L(x)=f(a) + f'(a) (x-a)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Besides writing down that tanx - 0.1 < x < tanx + 0.1
    I have no idea how to approach this!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want an 'exact' answer (to some number of signficant digits) to that inequality you would have to solve it numerically. I suspect they want you to estimate a remainder term to the Taylor series. What forms of that do you know?

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    I don't know what the Taylor series is. I don't think they're looking for a numerical answer though. I think they're looking for some sort of proof? I just started learning linear approximations.

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't know what a Taylor series is, forget that suggestion. Just goof around with your calculator to figure out how big x can be and still keep |x-tan(x)|<0.1. There's not really a nice way to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?