1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Approximations

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use an appropriate linear approximation to estimate the value [itex] (0.97)^{3}(2.02)[/itex]. Write your answer as a simplified decimal.

2. Relevant equations
    Linearization:
    [itex] L(x,y) = f(a,b) + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}(a,b)(x-a) + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}(a,b)(y-b) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am a little confused on this one about how to get going, but once I get started this shouldn't pose to much of a problem. I was thinking (I came here to confirm this thought) that I could define a function:
    [itex] z = x^{3}y [/itex]
    Then I would take:
    [itex] a = 1 \hspace{2 mm} b = 2 [/itex]
    Then I would go from there and formulate the linearization. I just wanted to see if this was the right way to proceed or not..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you're mostly on the right track, but your partials aren't right.

Since z = f(x, y), the partials you want are ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}##. It might be that you wrote them upside down inadvertently.

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Best policy: just go ahead and do it.

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4
    Ah, thank you...I just wrote it down wrong by accident :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted