Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Chain of oscillators (Quantum Treatment)

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    I am reading Field Quantization by Greiner and Rienhardt and I am trying to prove that
    [itex] i\hbar \frac{d\hat{b_k}}{dt} = [\hat{b_k},H]=\hbar \omega_k \hat{b_k}[/itex] where [tex]
    \hat{b_k} = \frac{1}{2} \sum_n u^{k*}_n(q_n(t)+ \frac{i}{\omega_km}\hat{p}_n(t))[/tex] and
    [tex] H= \sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{2m}\hat{p^2_n} + \sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{\kappa}{2}(\hat{q_{n+1}}-\hat{q_n})^2[/tex] lastly [tex] u_n^k= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} e^{ikan}[/tex] I am interested in doing it the brute force way namely using the Hamilton as specifically stated above and the definition of [itex] \hat{b_k}[/itex]. Without showing all my work, just by directly plugging the equations into the Heisenberg equation of motion(commutator). I arrived at the following equation [tex] \frac{1}{2}\sum_n \frac{u^k_n}{2m}[q_n,p_n^2] + \frac{1}{2} \sum_n \frac{i\kappa u^{k*}_n}{2 \omega_k m}[p_n,(q_{n+1}-q_n)^2] [/tex] which according to my calculation reduces to [tex] \frac{1}{2}\left(\sum_n u^{k*}_n \hbar(\frac{i\hat{p_n}}{m}-\omega_k(q_{n+1}-q_n))\right)[/tex]
    The problem I am facing is I need to get rid of the [itex] q_{n+1} [/itex] term but I do not know how to.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted