1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear charge

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the x-axis from x=0 to x=a. A positive point

charge q is located on the positive x-axis at x=a+r , a distance to the right of the end of Q.

Observe the figure below
    1ifojm.jpg

My goal is to try to explain the problem to make sure I understand it since a similar one will be on my exam, and also get some questions that I don't understand addressed. (:

1. Calculate the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a.

[itex]\lambda[/itex]= [itex]\stackrel{Q}{a}[/itex]

dQ=[itex]\-lambda[/itex] dx (I dont know why lambda is negative)

dq=-[itex]\stackrel{Q}{A}[/itex]

First things First I know that the distance of Q is a and the distance from Q to a test point q+ is = a+r which the problem statement sets to x for simplicity.

-[itex]\aintx[/itex] [itex]\stackrel{Q}{a}[/itex]dx

Here is where I get confused I dont understand why the insert [itex]\stackrel{k}{x^2}[/itex]
    not including the point charge q?

after that it is just simple integrals and algebra.

Ultimately getting an answer of [itex]\stackrel{Qk}{a}[/itex]([itex]\stackrel{1}{a}[/itex]-[itex]\stackrel{1}{a+r}[/itex])

2. Calculate the magnitude of the force that the charge distribution that Q exerts on q.

Here i'm also confused isn't the answer just a simplified version of part 1?

[itex]\stackrel{kQa}{r(a+r)}[/itex]

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted