• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Linear combination help?

• Thread starter halo31
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let S={r,u,d,x} be a set of vectors.
If x=4r+4u+4d, determine whether or not the four vectors listed above are linearly independent or linearly dependent. If is dependent, find a non-trivial linear relation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I dont really know how to start the problem. But I tried to set it up this way.
Let 0=4r-4d-4u+x. In order to make it zero would the scalar of x have to be
1? but im really lost with lost with problem. Any help would great

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let S={r,u,d,x} be a set of vectors.
If x=4r+4u+4d, determine whether or not the four vectors listed above are linearly independent or linearly dependent. If is dependent, find a non-trivial linear relation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I dont really know how to start the problem. But I tried to set it up this way.
Let 0=4r-4d-4u+x. In order to make it zero would the scalar of x have to be
1? but im really lost with lost with problem. Any help would great
You've already written 0 as a linear combination of the vectors {r,u,d,x}. Doesn't that mean you are done??

well I first have to figure out if its linear dependent or linear independent. I am not given any vectors, just scalars. Im supposed to figure out what scalar number goes in front of the x vector. What I do know when its linear dependent is when there is atleast one nontrivial scalar and when its linear independent is when all scalars are zero. But how do I go about finding what scalar fits in front of the scalar?oh wait wouldnt it be linear dependent since the scalars(4) in front of vectors r,d,u are 4?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
well I first have to figure out if its linear dependent or linear independent. I am not give any vectors, just scalars. Im supposed to figure out what scalar number goes in front of the x vector.
You are overthinking this. Try putting 1 in front of x.

That I tried. All I know if I divide it i'm left with the same equation as I started with.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That I tried. All I know if I divide it i'm left with the same equation as I started with.
Mmm. I just noticed your algebra is a bit off. If you do it right you have 0=-4*r-4*d-4*u+1*x. All of the scalars in front of the vectors are nonzero and the sum is 0. Linearly dependent or independent??

ok thanks