1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear combination help?

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S={r,u,d,x} be a set of vectors.
    If x=4r+4u+4d, determine whether or not the four vectors listed above are linearly independent or linearly dependent. If is dependent, find a non-trivial linear relation.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont really know how to start the problem. But I tried to set it up this way.
    Let 0=4r-4d-4u+x. In order to make it zero would the scalar of x have to be
    1? but im really lost with lost with problem. Any help would great

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've already written 0 as a linear combination of the vectors {r,u,d,x}. Doesn't that mean you are done??

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    well I first have to figure out if its linear dependent or linear independent. I am not given any vectors, just scalars. Im supposed to figure out what scalar number goes in front of the x vector. What I do know when its linear dependent is when there is atleast one nontrivial scalar and when its linear independent is when all scalars are zero. But how do I go about finding what scalar fits in front of the scalar?oh wait wouldnt it be linear dependent since the scalars(4) in front of vectors r,d,u are 4?

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are overthinking this. Try putting 1 in front of x.

6. Sep 10, 2012 #5
    That I tried. All I know if I divide it i'm left with the same equation as I started with.

7. Sep 10, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mmm. I just noticed your algebra is a bit off. If you do it right you have 0=-4*r-4*d-4*u+1*x. All of the scalars in front of the vectors are nonzero and the sum is 0. Linearly dependent or independent??

8. Sep 10, 2012 #7
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook