1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combination of Atomic Orbitals

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    Is anybody familiar with LCAO approximation? I'm working on my last problem for this assignment and the class text doesn't really cover it enough for me nor do my reference texts cover it enough. Does anybody know any good references so I can read more on LCAO approximation? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 2 volumes of Cohen-Tannoudji on Quantum Mechanics certainly cover chemical bonds...

1. Quantum Chemistry , H. Eyring, J. Walter, and G. E. Kimball, J. Wiley
    and Sons, New York, N.Y. (1947)- EWK.
    2. Quantum Chemistry , D. A. McQuarrie, University Science Books, Mill Valley, Ca.
    (1983)- McQuarrie.
    3. Molecular Quantum Mechanics , P. W. Atkins, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, England
    (1983)- Atkins.
    4. The Fundamental Principles of Quantum Mechanics , E. C. Kemble, McGraw-Hill, New
    York, N.Y. (1937)- Kemble.
    5. The Theory of Atomic Spectra , E. U. Condon and G. H. Shortley, Cambridge Univ.
    Press, Cambridge, England (1963)- Condon and Shortley.
    6. The Principles of Quantum Mechanics , P. A. M. Dirac, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford,
    England (1947)- Dirac.
    7. Molecular Vibrations , E. B. Wilson, J. C. Decius, and P. C. Cross, Dover Pub., New
    York, N. Y. (1955)- WDC.
    8. Chemical Applications of Group Theory , F. A. Cotton, Interscience, New York, N. Y.
    (1963)- Cotton.
    9. Angular Momentum , R. N. Zare, John Wiley and Sons, New York, N. Y. (1988)-
    Zare.

You must find something there,i'm sure.

And it wouldn't hurt checking online reference,as well.Just google LCAO.

Daniel.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    Hmm, I have the Dirac text on my bookshelf. I will go back and look through it. Thanks!

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u don't find it in Dirac's text,then choose another one,preferably chemistry oriented.

Daniel.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    You mean Huckel Theory and EHT? We skipped that section in our P. Chem class.

7. Apr 7, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's exactly what he meant.You probably did Heitler-London's theory.

Daniel.

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7
    That's not what I was hoping to hear. I'll check the Dirac text.

9. Apr 11, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't have the book by Dirac.So that's why i couldn't tell if it was there or not.For what it's worth,i doubt it.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?