Linear combination of phi(n)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between solutions of the Schrodinger equation for different values of En and how they represent particles with well-defined energy. It is stated that a linear combination of solutions does not represent a particle with a well-defined energy, but rather a state with a probability of having a certain energy. The Schrodinger equation must be linear in order to accurately describe the dynamics of the quantum system.
Kit
please refer to the attachment

in the last part, it states that...

If solutions phi.n.(r) can be found, for different values of En, then the linear combination is also a solution of the Schroedinger equation, because the Schroedinger equation is a linear equation. However, such a linear combination does not represent a particle with a well defined energy.

if it is not represent a particle with a well defined energy, then what is it represent?

does it represent all the energy states from ground state to En?

thx for answering

Attachments

• linear combination phi(r).doc
    31 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
Let i be the energy representation
|psi>=Sum{|i><i|psi>}
Transforming to the position representation j
|psi>=Sum{Sum{|j><j|i>}<i|psi>}
|psi>=Sum{u_i(x)e^(-(E_i)t/h}<i|psi>}

So a superposition of the states of definite energy represents a state with the probability <i|psi> of having energy E_i.

So the Schrodinger equation (the equation which governs the dynamics of the wave equation in the language of position space) must be linear for it to give a correct representation of the quantum system.

The linear combination of phi(n) represents a superposition of different energy states. This means that the particle does not have a well-defined energy, but rather exists in a combination of different energy levels. This can be thought of as the particle being in a state of uncertainty about its energy.

It does not necessarily represent all energy states from ground state to En, as there can be an infinite number of possible energy states. However, it does represent a combination of energy states that are solutions to the Schroedinger equation.

It is important to note that this is a mathematical concept and may not have a direct physical interpretation. It is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and their energy levels.

1. What is the definition of "linear combination of phi(n)"?

"Linear combination of phi(n)" refers to a mathematical concept where two or more numbers are multiplied by different coefficients and then added together. In the context of phi(n), it refers to the sum of the values of phi(n) for a given set of numbers.

2. How is "linear combination of phi(n)" calculated?

To calculate the linear combination of phi(n) for a set of numbers, first find the value of phi(n) for each individual number. Then, multiply each phi(n) value by a coefficient and add all the resulting values together.

3. What is the significance of "linear combination of phi(n)" in mathematics?

The concept of linear combination of phi(n) is important in number theory and abstract algebra. It is used to study properties of numbers and to find relationships between different numbers and their properties.

4. Can "linear combination of phi(n)" be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, the concept of linear combination of phi(n) has applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science. It is also used in practical problems involving number theory and abstract algebra.

5. Are there any specific properties or rules that apply to "linear combination of phi(n)"?

Yes, there are certain properties and rules that apply to linear combination of phi(n), such as the distributive property and the commutative property. These properties can be used to simplify and solve problems involving linear combinations of phi(n).