1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combination of Vectors

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    The question asks: Write down the vector b as the linear combination of vectors, v1, v2, v3.

To which I got:

b = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

(as A was the matrix made up of those three vectors, and the scalars were the answers from the system Ax=b)

Then the question asks: Determine whether the vector v1 is the linear combination of vectors, v2, v3, b.

Could someone tell me how to find the scalar for vector b?

At the moment I have:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{7}{2}\\0\\\frac{5}{2}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And I don't know what number to multiply the last vector by...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2
    Shouldnt the linear combinations look like this?

[tex]
    \left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)=
    1\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)+
    3\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\0\end{array}\right)+
    2\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\\1\end{array}\right)
    [/tex]

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, he were to express the vector b as a linear combination in terms of the three originally given vectors.

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

shan:
    Just multiply your original (vector) equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex] and rearrange your terms.

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Erenion,u used 3 vectors that could form a basis in [itex]\mathbb{C}^{3} [/itex]...I think this property will be lost,once u try to express one of the basis vectors as a lin.combo.of the other basis vectors & the original vector...

Since the OP's problem dooesn't mention linear independence & completitude,i guess what he's done is correct and he can solve point "b",if he's more careful with his algebra...

Daniel.

7. Apr 8, 2005 #6
    hmm but I don't understand why? As I need to determine whether v1 is a linear combination of vectors v2, v3 and b, if I multiplied the original vector equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex], wouldn't I change the length of v1?

8. Apr 9, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What do you mean?
    v1 is the vector (1,-2,2), right?

9. Apr 9, 2005 #8
    Yeah... ok maybe I'm misunderstanding. By original vector equation, you mean this one?

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

So you're saying to multiply the above equation by \frac{2}{7} and rearrange to make v1 (1, -2, 2) the subject?

10. Apr 9, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I take it you meant:
    b=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

Yes, that's the equation I was referring to..

11. Apr 9, 2005 #10
    Ah ok, I got it. Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?