Linear dark features on the Sun

In summary, the video showcases a decade of sun activity. It starts with the solar minimum (the lowest point of the sun's activity cycle) and goes all the way to its peak. It includes a look at the sun's poles, its activity cycle, and its effects on Earth.
mollwollfumble
TL;DR Summary
What are the long linear dark features on the Sun, with a thin light jagged centreline and dark spikes above?
I’ve been watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QQQu7QLoM
What is the scientific name of the enigmatic long linear dark features? I’ve marked five of them in the first image, from time 7:55 in the video.

Each linear dark feature usually (but not always) has a thin jagged light line along the centreline. At the limb of the Sun, each jagged centreline appears as a dark spike that protrudes well above the surroundings and is so dark that it obscures flares and spicules behind it. The second image from 0:33 shows three such dark spikes, two on the left and one on the right, which are always aligned with the thin centreline of a dark feature.

If you think of the dark spikes above the thin jagged centreline as cloud tops, then there is often lightning that plays along these cloud tops. These are flashes of light along this very thin central line. It can be faint and almost continuous, localised, can zoom from one end of the line to the other like a speeding car on the highway, or go bang all at once. These flashes are not high above the photosphere like flares, but seem contained within the cloud tops.

Anyway, what is the scientific name for these?

Attachments

• Sun canyon1.jpg
    Sun canyon1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Sun canyon2.jpg
    Sun canyon2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 242
Likes hutchphd
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes phinds
Andrew Mason said:
I think you may be referring to solar flares. Seen from above rather than the side flares can look like dark lines as in these Wikipedia photos: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_flare

AM

I don't see any obvious flares in in any of the boxed regions. and the flares would be bright not dark

mollwollfumble said:
What is the scientific name of the enigmatic long linear dark features? I’ve marked five of them in the first image, from time 7:55 in the video

in the first pic ...

1593939683014.png

These long dark areas are gaps in the corona called coronal holes. Some of them may also be some face on filaments there as well
tho that X-ray wavelength doesn't show filaments so well compared to Ha (hydrogen Alpha) images.

Now the second image shows a different feature...

1593939880956.png

The left box outlines a very small filament/prominence ( also not well seen at these wavelengths)
These could also be spicules - small plasma jets as they look similar to small prominences when viewed side on

The right box may also be one, but much less defined
cheers
Dave

mollwollfumble said:
I’ve been watching

What a great video...a complete solar cycle in an hour. Thanks. (I don't know the answer...)

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What are linear dark features on the Sun?

Linear dark features on the Sun, also known as sunspots, are areas on the surface of the Sun that appear darker than the surrounding areas. They are caused by intense magnetic activity that inhibits the flow of heat from the Sun's interior, resulting in lower temperatures and darker areas.

2. How big are linear dark features on the Sun?

Sunspots can vary in size, but they are typically larger than the Earth. The largest sunspot ever recorded was approximately 80,000 miles (129,000 kilometers) in diameter, which is more than 10 times the size of Earth.

3. How long do linear dark features on the Sun last?

The lifespan of a sunspot can vary, but on average, they can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Some sunspots may even persist for months, but they will eventually dissipate as the Sun's magnetic field changes.

4. Can linear dark features on the Sun affect Earth?

Yes, sunspots can have an impact on Earth. They can cause disruptions in radio communications and can also affect our planet's climate. When sunspots are more active, they can release more solar flares and coronal mass ejections, which can cause geomagnetic storms on Earth.

5. How do scientists study linear dark features on the Sun?

Scientists use a variety of instruments to study sunspots, including telescopes that can observe the Sun in different wavelengths of light. They also use spectroscopy to analyze the chemical composition of sunspots and track their evolution over time.