Solving a Linear Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear differential equation and attempts to put it in the general form of a linear equation. However, there are difficulties in isolating the x variable and the initial equation is not linear. A suggestion is made to approach the equation in a different way to turn it into an ordinary differential equation, which can be written as a linear differential equation for x as a function of y.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a linear DE here,

[tex] (x + 4y^2) dy + 2y dx =0 [/tex]

I've tried to put it in the general form of a linear equation, and I would get,

[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} + \frac {2y}{x+4y^2} = 0 [/tex]

but I have problems isolating the x, so that I would get the [tex] P(x) [/tex] in the general form.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't make sense. If "DE" stands for "differential equation" then no, you don't have a DE here.

^ sorry, its supposed to be equals to 0, i forgot to add that...

Think outside the box for a moment. There's a very easy way to turn this into an ODE.

Your D.E. is not linear, either.

The way you have written it
[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} + \frac {2y}{x+4y^2} = 0 [/tex]
it is not linear.
However, you can write
[tex] (x + 4y^2) dy + 2y dx =0 [/tex]

as
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= -\frac{x+4y^2}{2y}= -\frac{1}{2y}x- 2y[/tex]
which is a linear d.e. for x as a function of y.

What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that relates a function and its derivatives. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), where y' denotes the derivative of y with respect to x, p(x) is a function of x, and g(x) is a function of x.

How is a linear differential equation solved?

A linear differential equation can be solved by first separating the variables and then integrating both sides. This results in an equation of the form y = Ce^(-∫p(x)dx) + ∫g(x)e^(∫p(x)dx)dx, where C is the constant of integration.

What are the steps for solving a linear differential equation?

The steps for solving a linear differential equation are: 1) Identify the type of differential equation (i.e. first order, second order, etc.) 2) Separate the variables 3) Integrate both sides 4) Solve for the constant of integration 5) Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given initial conditions. This means that it is a solution that not only satisfies the differential equation, but also any additional constraints or conditions given in the problem.

How is a general solution different from a particular solution?

A general solution is a solution to a differential equation that includes all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. In other words, a general solution is a family of solutions, while a particular solution is a single solution within that family.