1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Dependence and Subsets

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that E,F are sets of vectors in V with [itex]E \subseteq F[/itex]. Prove that if E is linearly dependent, then so is F.

3. The attempt at a solutionRead post #2. This proof, I think, was incorrect.

If we suppose that E is linearly dependent, then we know that there exists [itex]E_1,...,E_n[/itex] distinct vectors such that,
    [itex]e_1 E_1 + ... + e_n E = \vec0[/itex], where e1,...,en are numbers. Thus, we know [itex]\vec0 \in E[/itex]. Since [itex]E \subseteq F[/itex], [itex]\vec0 \in F[/itex]. Any set containing the zero-vector must certainly be linearly dependent since [itex]n \vec0 = \vec0[/itex], where n is any number.

Thus, if E is linearly dependent, then F is linearly dependent.

Sound about right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    Actually, I have to revise my proof. I don't think I can write that [itex]\vec0 \in E[/itex]. In any case, we know that [itex]e_1 E_1 + ...+ e_n E_n = \vec0[/itex]. We can therefore say (I think) that [itex]\vec0 \in span{E}[/itex]. [itex]E \subseteq F[/itex] implies [itex]spanE \subseteq spanF[/itex]. Thus, [itex]\vec0 \in spanF[/itex]. Since E has a nontrivial solution to [itex]e_1 E_1 + ...+ e_n E_n = \vec0[/itex] and since [itex]\vec0 \in spanF[/itex], F must also have a nontrivial solution to get the zero vector. In one such case, F's nontrivial solution is identical to E's.

Is that better?

4. Jan 14, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. The zero vector is in ANY span. F is a set of vectors. E is a subset of those vectors. Let's list the elements of F as [itex]F=\{F_1,F_2,...,F_n\}[/itex] and let's say that the first m of those vectors are the ones that also belong to E, so [itex]E=\{F_1,F_2,...,F_m\}[/itex] where m<=n. Try expressing a proof using that notation.

5. Jan 14, 2012 #4
    So if I write [itex]F=\{F_1,F_2,...,F_n\}[/itex] and [itex]E=\{F_1,F_2,...,F_m\}[/itex] then in E there exists [itex]F_1,...,F_m[/itex] distinct vectors such that [itex]f_b F_b + ... + f_m F_m = \vec0[/itex], where [itex]f_1,...,f_m[/itex] are not all zero vectors. Because [itex]E \subseteq F[/itex], F also contains these distinct vectors. Thus, in F we can say that there exist [itex]F_1,...,F_m[/itex] distinct vectors such that [itex]f_b F_b + ... + f_m F_m = \vec0[/itex]. Hence, we see that F is also linearly dependent.

6. Jan 14, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The phrasing is still clumsy. Why are you starting with [itex]f_b[/itex]? Why not start with [itex]f_1[/itex]? And the f's aren't vectors, they are scalars. You've got the right idea though.

7. Jan 14, 2012 #6
    I guess it doesn't matter to start with F1 or b. I thought Fb gave the impression that E didn't necessarily have to start with the first element of F. But I seem to recall that ordering doesn't matter in sets anyway (isn't that right?)

Besides these problems (which I think will be pretty trivial to fix) is there anything else that is making the proof clumsy?

8. Jan 14, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In setting it up we designated that the first m elements of F were to be the elements of F n E. Sure, sets are unordered, but our labeling of the elements of the sets has some useful order. You kept the last element of E as F_m after all. Don't ponder this deeply, just change the 'b' to '1' and see if it reads more simply.

9. Jan 15, 2012 #8
    Okay. Thanks!

I won't rewrite the work here since there isn't much need if the changes you recommend are so easy to make.

On the other hand, I also want to ask another question regarding sets. If I have a statement like [itex]spanE + spanF[/itex], is this just the same as [itex]spanE \cap spanF[/itex]? I ask because I was doing some practice problems and one of them asked to show that [itex]L(E \cap F) \subseteq L(E) \cap L(F)[/itex]. The answer to this problem showed that [itex]L(E \cap F) \subseteq spanE + spanF[/itex], but stopped there. It isn't immediately obvious to me how the stuff on the right hand side of the subset sign relates to what I was asked to show.

10. Jan 15, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. [itex]spanE + spanF[/itex], is defined as the set of all vectors e+f where e is in span(E) and f is in span(F). Pick a basis for [itex]spanE \cap spanF[/itex] and extend it to a basis for span(E) and span(F) to see the relation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook