1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Dependent Question

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    Going through a mathematical physics book in the section about vector spaces, in the section showing how to prove vectors are linearly dependent their example is:

Two vectors in 3-d space:

A = i + 2j -1.5k
    B = i + j - 2k
    C = i - j - 3k

are linearly dependent as we can write down

2A - 3B + C = 0

I understand the concept of linear dependence, and why the answer makes sense (non-zero constants exist) but my question is how they determined the constants needed to show the vectors are dependent. My first thought was Gaussian elimination but I don't think that's correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2

Vid

You're right in suspecting Gaussian elimination as one way to find them, but can you figure out why?
    Start with xA + yB + zC = 0 where x, y, and z are the unknown constants and try and solve for them. You should find a system of three equations in three unknowns.

Also, welcome to PF.

4. May 28, 2008 #3
    Thank you. So I get something like this (eliminating x):

x + 2y - 1.5z = 0
    -y - .5z = 0
    -3y - 1.5z = 0

I can't remember how to solve a set of equations like this where they are all set to zero.
    I thought the process was once a variable is eliminated, to solve for say cy = z
    then set z=t and try to plug back to find x. When I do this, I do not come up with 2, -3, 1 or any multiples of them.

5. May 29, 2008 #4

Vid

Your starting equations should have been:
    x + y + z = 0
    2x + y - z = 0
    -1.5x - 2y - 3z = 0

From this, put it into a matrix and use Gaussian elimination. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should start from the beginning of linear alg.
    Here's some notes for a introduction to linear algebra class for reference.
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/LinAlg.aspx

6. May 30, 2008 #5
    I know how to use Gaussian, but when I originally worked it out I had put the starting equations in wrong. That's why in the OP I thought I was wrong for using that method. Now that you posted the correct starting equations, I see my error. Thanks a lot, I sure wasted a lot of time getting hung up on a simple problem haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?