Finding the Value of an Industrial Milling Machine Using Linear Depreciation

• Thread starter !Jon Snow!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, for tax and accounting purposes, corporations use linear depreciation to decrease the value of equipment over time. One formula for calculating the value V (in thousands of dollars) at time t ≥ 0 after purchase is V = 500,000 + (T-5)(-330,000). This formula assumes that after two years, the equipment is worth $830,000 and after five years, it is worth $500,000.
!Jon Snow!

Homework Statement

For tax and accounting purposes, corporations depreciate the value of equipment each year. One method used is called "linear depreciation," where the value decreases over time in a linear manner. Suppose that two years after purchase, an industrial milling machine is worth $830,000, and five years after purchase, the machine is worth $500,000. Find a formula for the machine value V (in thousands of dollars) at time t ≥ 0 after purchase.

Homework Equations

v=?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got;

At T=2 V=830,000
At T=5 V=500,000

V-500,000 =[T-5][500,000-800,000]/[5-2]
C-500,000=[T-5][330,000]

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was that "C" in the last equation a typo?

You have the right formula (point- slope which I assume was given in your book) but your arithmetic is terrible! (500,000- 800,000)/(5- 2) is NOT 330,000!

HallsofIvy said:
Was that "C" in the last equation a typo?

You have the right formula (point- slope which I assume was given in your book) but your arithmetic is terrible! (500,000- 800,000)/(5- 2) is NOT 330,000!

Yes, it was a typo i meant to say "v".

Sorry, I typed this late last night.

V-500,000 =[T-5][500,000-830,000]/[5-2]
V-500,000=[T-5][-330,000]

Yes, so it is 830,000, not 800,000 and the fraction is negative. That is correct.
(The fact that this is depreciation tells you that the slope is negative.)

What is linear depreciation?

Linear depreciation is a method of calculating the decrease in value of an asset over time. It assumes that the asset depreciates at a constant rate each year.

How is linear depreciation calculated?

Linear depreciation is calculated by subtracting the salvage value (the estimated value of the asset at the end of its useful life) from the initial cost of the asset, and then dividing that amount by the number of years in its useful life. The resulting number is the amount of depreciation to be recorded each year.

What is the useful life of an asset?

The useful life of an asset is the estimated amount of time that it will remain in use before it is no longer functional or has to be replaced. It is determined by the expected wear and tear of the asset and can vary depending on the type of asset.

Can linear depreciation be used for tax purposes?

Yes, linear depreciation is one of the methods allowed by the IRS for calculating the depreciation of assets for tax purposes. However, businesses may also choose to use other methods such as accelerated depreciation to decrease their taxable income.

What is the difference between linear depreciation and straight-line depreciation?

Linear depreciation and straight-line depreciation are two terms for the same method of calculating depreciation. Both terms refer to the idea that the decrease in value of an asset is linear or straight-line, meaning it decreases at a constant rate each year.