Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear electro magnetic field

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1
    how could i make a linear electromagnetic field to a great distance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What exactly do you mean with "linear"?
    Make a large, strong source. The question is way to broad for a more specific answer.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    A Electro magnetic field that is in a straight line that could go to a great distance

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Are you talking about something like a laser?

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
    no a electromagnetic field

7. Sep 29, 2014 #6

Drakkith

"A electromagnetic field" is extremely vague. You're going to need to be more specific if you want help.

8. Sep 29, 2014 #7
    something like this.that could work in open air Untitled.png

9. Sep 29, 2014 #8

Drakkith

No, nothing like that can be built to create an electric or magnetic field that doesn't fall off in strength over such a large distance in the open air. You'd need a large tunnel filled with electromagnets in order to generate a 1 km long magnetic field, and I'm not sure it's even possible to do something similar with an electric field.

10. Sep 29, 2014 #9
    What about Hall effect thruster

11. Sep 29, 2014 #10
    A linear electromagnetic field might be interpreted as one that did not fall off with distance. When radiated through space from a point source, the field will fall off as the inverse square of the distance. By confining the EM field to a waveguide, a 'linear' field can be achieved. A waveguide is simply a long skinny cavity bounded by metal.

12. Sep 29, 2014 #11
    A Hall effect thruster is still rather short range, you're probably better off trying a high energy cutting laser as a guide for pulsed em waves (I say a high energy cutting laser because it should have a slight atmospheric blooming effect) but I don't know if it would work at a distance or even work at all.

13. Sep 29, 2014 #12
    EM pulse will not follow ionized channel. Ionized channel will absorb the EM wave and simply convert it to heat. However, if you were to make a ring of lasers that could ionize a cylindrical shell maybe 10 cm in diameter extending to outer space, then the interior might be ionization free for a few milliseconds. We would have a conductive waveguide that could efficiently couple an EM pulse of comparable wavelength to 10 cm, or about 3 GHz. Once the EM wavefront left the far end of the tube, it would then obey the law of squares in falling off in intensity.

14. Sep 29, 2014 #13
    I didn't think about the conversion of the em wave to heat but the laser may work.

15. Sep 29, 2014 #14
    That is assuming the lasers don't absorb and convert the em wave before it reaches its destination.

16. Sep 29, 2014 #15

mfb

2016 Award

To get a field that is not completely different from your sketch, you would need objects significantly larger than 100m on both sides (~500m is better). It is possible, but you would have to construct something like multiple large towers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook