Linear Equation Help: Plot, Find Eq., Approx Y for X=5

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a study guide that involves creating a scatter plot, finding the equation of the best fit line, and approximating the value of y for a given x. The data is given as ordered pairs and the formula for the regression equation is provided. The speaker suggests moving the question to a different forum and encourages the asker to show their attempts at solving the problem. They also suggest starting by computing the mean values for x and y.
chanimal
Hello,
i have been studying for finals and i am stuck on a question on my study guide. the question is to make a scatter plot of a set of data, find the equation of the best fit line, and approximate the value of y for x = 5.
the data is like this: x: 0 2 4 6 7
and the y is like : y: 2 7 14 17 20
if someone could help that would be great

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

This question is better suited for our basic statistics forum, and so I will move it there when I finish posting.

We also ask that our users show what they have tried, so we can see where they are stuck and then we can provide better help that way.

First, let's represent the given ordered pairs in tabular form for improved readability:

$x$$y$

Okay, now we need the following formula:

[box=blue]
Regression Equation

\(\displaystyle \hat{y}=b_0+b_1x\tag{1}\)

where:

\(\displaystyle b_1=\frac{S_{xy}}{S_{xx}},\quad b_0=\frac{1}{n}\left(\sum y-b_1\sum x\right)\)

\(\displaystyle S_{xx}=\sum(x-\overline{x})^2,\quad S_{xy}=\sum\left((x-\overline{x})(y-\overline{y})\right)\)
[/box]

I would begin by computing $\overline{x}$ and $\overline{y}$...what do you get?

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I plot a linear equation?

To plot a linear equation, you need to choose two values for x and solve for y. This will give you two points on the line. Plot these points on a graph and connect them with a straight line.

3. How do I find the equation of a linear equation?

To find the equation of a linear equation, you need to know the slope and y-intercept. You can then plug these values into the equation y = mx + b to get the equation in slope-intercept form.

4. How do I approximate the value of y for a given x in a linear equation?

To approximate the value of y for a given x in a linear equation, you can use the equation y = mx + b. Plug in the given x value and solve for y to get an approximate value.

5. How can I solve a system of linear equations?

To solve a system of linear equations, you need to find the point where the two lines intersect. This can be done by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for the values of x and y.