1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Equation Methods

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    For the system of linear algebraic equations:
    x − y = 1
    2x + 3y = 7
    a) find solution by the Cramer’s rule;
    b) find solution by the method of Gaussian elimination;
    c) write the first iteration of the Jacobi method with the initial guess x^0=y^0=1.

I understand Cramer's Rule, and I think I understand Gaussian elimination, have got
    x=2 and y=1 for both of them, but I have no idea how to do part c). Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In terms of matrices, this system would be written as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

We can take out the "diagonal" and rewrite it as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}i+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

so that
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}- \begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

or, just in terms of the equations, x= 1+ y, 3y= 7- 2x so we have x= 1+ y, y= (7- 2x)/3.

Taking [itex]x^0= y^0= 1[/itex], we have [itex]x^1= 1+ y^0= 1+ 1= 2[/itex] and [itex]y^1= (7- 2x^0)/3= (7- 2)/3= 5/3[/itex].

4. Aug 5, 2010 #3
    Thank you, very helpful! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook