1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Equation with Constant Coefficients Problem

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Find all solutions [tex] \phi [/tex] of [tex] y''+y=0 [/tex] satisfying:
    1) [tex] \phi(0)=1, \phi(\pi/2)=2 [/tex]
    2) [tex] \phi(0)=0, \phi(\pi)=0 [/tex]
    3) [tex] \phi(0)=0, \phi'(\pi/2)=0 [/tex]
    4) [tex] \phi(0)=0, \phi(\pi/2)=0 [/tex]

I cannot seem to solve parts 2-4 in a way that would result in the coefficients being any constant other than zero. Whenever I solve for one of the constants in the equation [tex] \phi(0)=0 [/tex] , I find that [tex] C_1=-C_2 [/tex] ; which isn't alarming yet since the magnitude of either constant is not yet known. When I try to solve the second property in each of the subsequent equations, I find that [tex] C_2=0 [/tex] , for example, which implies that [tex] C_1=0 [/tex] since [tex] C_1=-C_2 [/tex] . Below, I have included a portion of the work that I completed to get to the current situation that I am in. Any assistance offered would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

[tex] y''+y=0 [/tex] .
    Characteristic Polynomial: [tex] p(r)=r^2+1=(r-i)(r+i) [/tex]
    [tex] \implies [/tex] Roots [tex] =\pm i [/tex] .
    [tex] \therefore \phi(x)=C_1e^ {ix} +C_2e^ {-ix} [/tex] where [tex] C_1 [/tex] & [tex] C_2 [/tex] are constants.
    [tex] \phi(0)=C_1e^0+C_2e^0=C_1+C_2=1 \implies C_1=1-C_2 [/tex] .
    [tex] \phi(\pi/2)=C_1e^ {\pi i/2} +C_2e^{ -\pi i/2} =(1-C_2)e^ {\pi i/2} +C_2e^ {-\pi i/2} =\cdots=(1-2C_2)i=2 \implies C_2=(\frac 1 2 +i) \implies C_1=(\frac 1 2 -i ) [/tex].
    [tex] \therefore \phi(x)=(\frac 1 2 -i)e^ {ix} +(\frac 1 2 +i)e^ {-ix} =\cdots=cos(x)+2sin(x) [/tex] .
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first condition of 2) gives, as you say, [itex]C_1 = -C_2[/itex]. Using this and the second condition of 2), I get that [itex]C_2[/itex] can be anything.

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    b) y=(c1)sinx
    c) y=(c1)sinx
    d) y=o

(c1)= any constant

For b and c, I get (c2)=0, so (c1) can be any constant and there is no cosx term
    For d, I get both (c1) and (c2) are 0, so the only soln. is y=0
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful - I think your C's are different JM00404's C's. This doesn't affect the final answers, but it does affect the values of the C's.

JM00404 has chose C's such that

[tex]\phi(x) = C_1 e^{ix} + C_2 e^{-ix}[/tex].

I think your C's are such that

[tex]\phi(x) = C_1 sinx + C_2 cosx[/tex].

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    You're right

You're right. The general solution to the equation that I am using is

y(x) = (c1)sinx + (c2)cosx
  7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    Lets look @ (2). we have a general solution y=(c1)sinx+(c2)cosx, the first restriction y(0)=0, inplies that c2=0. The second restriction y(Pi)=0 does nothing because for any value of c1, sinx will be zero at Pi. so the solution is a bunch of sine curves with any amplitude. This is a good example of a second order d.e. that has 2 boundary conditions that don't determine a unique solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?