Solving Linear Equation: y' = 4ln|x|-2x^2y/x^3

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of solving a first order linear differential equation by converting it into the form \frac{dy}{dx} + Py = Q and finding an integrating factor. The participants also discussed the correct assignment of P and Q and how to solve for the integrating factor.
snowJT

Homework Statement

I'm told that this is a linear equation

[tex]y' = \frac{4ln|x| - 2x^2y}{x^3}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]x^3 = (4ln|x|-2x^2y)\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

giving:
[tex]P = 4ln|x|-2x^2[/tex]
[tex]Q = x^3[/tex]
[tex]\int Pdx = 4x-\frac{2x^3}{3}[/tex]
[tex]e^\int^p^d^x = e^4^x^-^\frac^{2x^3}^{3}[/tex]
[tex]ye^\int^p^d^x = \int e^4^x^-^\frac^{2x^3}^{3} x^3[/tex]

I know this is too complicated and ugly.. It has to be wrong so far...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a linear equation. Linear equations have the property that if y_1 and y_2 are solutions, then so is A*y_1+B*y_2. Your solution seems to consist of just throwing symbols around at random. The form of the equation doesn't make me think there is any way to get a closed form solution. If you really need to solve it you may have to try numerical techniques.

my textbook describes it as "first order linear DE"

I'm suppose to solve the equation by putting it into the form [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + Py = Q[/tex]

then integrate

Ok. But then your assignments of P and Q don't look at all right. Concentrate of the form in 1) and try again.

I see. It's an 'integrating factor' trick. Forgot.

is that what it's called? because I can not find anything on the internet that helps me with I look for liner equation DE

Just go by your book. But you've identified P and Q wrong.

That is, in fact, a linear equation for y as a function of x. Rewriting to
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] however gives you a non-linear equation for x as a function of y. There is no reason to do that.

The equation
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{4ln|x|-2x^2y}{x^3}[/tex]
can be rewritten as
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{2}{x}y= \frac{4 ln|x|}{x^3}[/tex]

Now you are looking for an "integrating factor" [itex]\mu(x)[/itex] such that
[tex]\mu(x)\frac{dy}{dx}+ \mu(x)\frac{2}{x}y= \frac{d(\mu(x)y}{dx}[/tex]
doing the derivative on the right, this reduces to
[tex] \mu(x)\frac{2}{x}y= \frac{d\mu(x)}{dx}y[/tex]

In other words we must have
[tex]\frac{d\mu(x)}{dx}= \frac{2}{x}[/itex]
That's an easy separable equation.

Solve it to find [itex]\mu(x)[/itex] and the rest is easy.

Mmm. I was waiting for him to identify the P and Q. Sorry about my confusing gaffe in saying it was not linear.

S'awright!

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation and the constant term(s) on the other side.

3. What does the notation y' mean in the given equation?

The notation y' (pronounced as "y prime") represents the derivative of the function y with respect to the independent variable x. In other words, it represents the rate of change of y with respect to x.

4. How do you solve a linear equation with logarithms?

To solve a linear equation with logarithms, you need to first isolate the logarithmic term by using algebraic operations. Then, you can apply the inverse of the logarithmic function (e.g. exponentiation for natural logarithms) to both sides of the equation to solve for the variable.

5. What is the purpose of solving this specific linear equation in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, solving linear equations can help us analyze relationships between variables and make predictions about how those variables will change. In the given equation, the slope (4ln|x|-2x^2y/x^3) represents the rate of change of y with respect to x, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of a system or process.