Solving Linear Equation with Integrating Factor Method

In summary, the equation is:xy' - 2y = x2Can anyone help me out with this?Yes, someone has helped you out before.Regards,Matt
specwarop
Gday,
Just trying to work out the following linear differential equation. I'm trying to work it out via the Integrating Factor method and I am getting stuck at the point where you multiply both sides by I(x).

The equation is:

xy' - 2y = x2

Can anyone help me out with this?

Regards,
Matt

PS. Also, how do I type equations, etc in the math font?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have for I(x) ?

For writing latex, click the sigma symbol on the toolbar, but I found it easier to get started using something like this
http://www.codecogs.com/components/equationeditor/equationeditor.php

Last edited by a moderator:
x(dy/dx)-2y=x^2
divide by x...(dy/dx)-2(y/x)=x
then its in the form:(dy/dx)+p(x)y=q(x)
we multiply by a(x), such that a(x)=exp([tex]\int[/tex]p(x)dx)
we obtain a(x)=x^2
then the solution is given by the following formula:
y(x)=a(x)-1{[tex]\int[/tex]a(x).q(x)dx +C}
hope that its the correct solution

That looks wrong to me. Surely [tex]a(x)=I(x)=x^{-2}[/tex], giving a solution of [tex]y(x)=x^{2}(\ln(x)+C)[/tex]

Ah okay, thanks for your reply.
One thing I am not understanding is the multiplication into the equation of the integrating factor. It has confused me on equations other than this one also.
Here is another example of an equation that is confusing me:

[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] . [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{y}{x^{2}}[/tex] = 1
becomes [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] . [tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex] = 1

How does the breaking down of the left side work? Where did y/x come from?

Matt

The first thing you need to do is express the DE in "standard form" so that nothing is multiplying y'...so in your last example you need to multiply through by x, so it becomes y'+y/x = x. Not sure where your last equation comes from - maybe you made some typos ? Then the integrating factor will be the exponential of the integral of 1/x, which is just 1/x.

specwarop said:
Ah okay, thanks for your reply.
One thing I am not understanding is the multiplication into the equation of the integrating factor. It has confused me on equations other than this one also.
Here is another example of an equation that is confusing me:

[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] . [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{y}{x^{2}}[/tex] = 1
becomes [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] . [tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex] = 1

How does the breaking down of the left side work? Where did y/x come from?

Matt

If you go back to the basic definition:
the standard form of the equation is :
(dy/dx)+p(x)y=q(x)
we multiply by a(x), and the form becomes: a(x).(dy/dx)+a(x).p(x).y=q(x).a(x) eq.1
we can write it in the form: [tex]\stackrel{d[a(x).y}{dx}[/tex]=a(x).p(x)
this is because of the rule: d(a(x).y)/dx=d(a(x))/dx + dy/dx eq.2
and comparing eq.1 and eq.2
we get d(a(x))/dx=a(x).p(x)
try to follow this explanation and do the example by your self...gd luck

This is the method I use:

Take a generic linear 1st order ODE:
y' + g(x)y = h(x)

Then, the integrating factor I(x) = exp(int(g(x) dx))

After multiplying through by I(x) we can write:
(I(x)y)' = I(x)h(x)
because the integrating factor always has the property that after multiplication the LHS becomes a perfect derivative (following the definition of the product rule of differentiation)

So then we integrate both sides (remembering to include the constant of integration) and then divide through by I(x) to give the general solution in explicit form.

Of course, my method is the same as hisham's but I just find it easier to follow.

What is the Integrating Factor Method?

The Integrating Factor Method is a technique used to solve linear differential equations with the form y' + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x. It involves finding an integrating factor, which is a function that allows the equation to be rewritten in a simpler form that can be easily solved.

How do you find the integrating factor?

To find the integrating factor, you first need to determine the value of P(x) in the given differential equation. Then, you can use the formula e^(integral of P(x)dx) to calculate the integrating factor. This formula involves finding the antiderivative of P(x) with respect to x.

What are the steps for solving a linear equation with the Integrating Factor Method?

The steps for solving a linear equation with the Integrating Factor Method are:
1. Determine the value of P(x) in the given differential equation.
2. Use the formula e^(integral of P(x)dx) to calculate the integrating factor.
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the integrating factor.
4. Use the product rule to simplify the left side of the equation.
5. Integrate both sides of the equation.
6. Solve for y.
7. Check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.
8. Add the constant of integration if necessary.

Can the Integrating Factor Method be used for all linear differential equations?

No, the Integrating Factor Method can only be used for linear differential equations with the form y' + P(x)y = Q(x). It cannot be used for other types of differential equations such as nonlinear or partial differential equations.

What are the advantages of using the Integrating Factor Method?

The Integrating Factor Method is a quick and efficient way to solve linear differential equations. It also provides a general solution that can be easily verified. Additionally, it can be used to solve equations with non-constant coefficients, which cannot be solved using other methods such as separation of variables.