1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear estimate

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    Hey guys I was just taking a look at a sample exam and I came across this, with no recollection of ever learning it.

I don't really want anyone to solve a problem for me per se, I just want an explanation for what is being asked.

So anyway, I am asked to find the linear estimate for a function f(x) for all small values of x (close to 0).

I'm not quite sure what a linear estimate is. Is it some sort of application of the linearization formula?

L(x) = F(a) = F'(a)(x-a)

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, exactly. Except that you mistyped your formula. It should be:

L(x) = F(a) + F'(a)(x - a)

In this problem, a = 0

This is just a Taylor series expansion (about 0) in which you only keep the terms up to the first order term (that's called a first order Taylor expansion for short).

Think about it...some well known functions do look approximately linear for values of x close to zero. Example:

f(x) = sin(x)

You can see that this is the case if you take a first order Taylor expansion, but you can also just look at a plot of sin(x) and see that it sure looks that way. As a result, for small values of x:

sin(x) ~ x

4. Jun 3, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, equivalently, use the tangent line approximation.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Basically you could think of this approximation as replacing a curve with its tangent. That is quite accurate close to the point of tangency, because at that point it has the same value and gradient, sort of like heading in a similar direction to the curve and therefore still somewhat accurate near the point of tangency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?