What is the initial length of rods A and B in rod C?

In summary: You just didn't know that they are called "simultaneous equations." Do you know what substitution means? let A = length of material A in rod Clet B = length of material B in rod CA + B = 30 cm (equation 1 - based on the total length of rod C)Now, we can write another equation based on the expansion of rod C. We know that the total change in length of rod C is 0.065 cm, and this is equal to the sum of the changes in length of material A and material B in rod C. So we have:0.065 cm = cLa + cLb (equation 2 - based on the changes in length of rod
william313
Hello. I have this easy question in linear expansion. Yeah, it's easy but I am really dumb in physics. Please help..

Homework Statement

Rod A which is 30 cm long, expands by 0.045 cm when heated from 0 degrees Celsius to 100 degrees Celsius. Rob B also 30 cm long expands by 0.075 cm for the same change in temperature. Rod C, also 30 cm long is made up of the materials of Rod A and B, connected end to end. It expands by 0.065 cm when heated from 0 degrees Celsius to 100 degrees Celsius. Calculate the initial lengths of rods A and B in C.

given:
Initial length of A = 30 cm
Change in length of A = 0.045 cm
Initial length of B = 30 cm
Change in length of B = 0.075 cm
Initial length of C = 30 com
Change in length of A = 0.065 cm
Change in temperature = 100 degrees Celsius (100 - 0)
Initial length of Rod A in Rod C = ?
Initial length of Rod B in Rod C = ?

Homework Equations

Coefficient of linear expansion = change in length / (initial length x change in temperature)

The Attempt at a Solution

My strategy is:
- get the coefficient of linear expansion of rods A and C.
- get the percentage of the coefficient of linear expansion of Rod A from Rod C.
- get the value of the change in length of A base on the percentage.
- solve for initial length of Rod A base on the formula given above.
- deduct the initial length of Rod C from the initial length of Rod A to get Rod B's initial length.

solution:

let Li be the initial length. Lia for initial length of rod a, Lib for rod b and Lic for rod c.
let cL be the change in length. cLa for rod a, clb for rod b and cLc for rod c.
let C be the coefficient of linear expansion. Ca for rod a and Cc for rod c
let t be the change in temperature.

C = cL / Li x t
Ca = cLa / Lia x t
Ca = 0.045 cm / 30 cm (100)
Ca = 1.5 x 10-5

Cc = cLc / Lic x t
Cc = 0.065 cm / 30 cm (100)
Cc = 2.167 x 10-5

get the percentage of rod a from rod c base on the coefficient of linear expansion:
= 1.5 x 10-5 / 2.167 x 10-5
= 0.69

cLa in rod c = 0.065 (.69)
cLa in rod c = 0.045

Lia in rod c = cLa in rod c / Ca x t
Lia in rod c = 30 cm

Lib in rod c = 30 cm - 30 cm
Lib in rod c = 0

As you can see. my attempted solution is obviously an error. Please help. Do you guys know how to answer this?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump..
is the length of the post scaring people??
:( :(

It's not obvious to me that the relative lengths of the pieces are in the same proportion to the coefficients of expansion. Try letting A be the length of material A in rod C and B be the length of material B in rod C. One equation that relates them is that A+B=30 cm. Write another equation based on the expansion of rod C. You should end up with two equations and two unknowns that you can solve.

^^ thanks.
I haven't done 2 equations with two unknowns before. Can you show me how to do that?

I'm sure you have. You learned how to solve them in first-year algebra.

Question 1:

What is linear expansion and why is it important?

Linear expansion is the increase in length of a material when it is heated. It is important because it can affect the accuracy and functionality of objects and structures that are exposed to temperature changes.

Question 2:

What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a measure of how much a material's length will change for a given change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is typically measured in units of 1/degree Celsius (°C).

Question 3:

How is the coefficient of linear expansion calculated?

The coefficient of linear expansion can be calculated using the formula α = (ΔL/L0)/(ΔT), where α is the coefficient of linear expansion, ΔL is the change in length of the material, L0 is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Question 4:

What is an example of a material with a high coefficient of linear expansion?

Some examples of materials with a high coefficient of linear expansion include metals like aluminum and steel, as well as plastics and rubber. These materials are often used in applications where thermal expansion needs to be carefully considered.

Question 5:

How can linear expansion be used in real-life applications?

Linear expansion is used in various real-life applications, such as in the construction of bridges and buildings, where changes in temperature can cause significant stress on materials. It is also used in the design of thermometers and other temperature measuring devices.