Temperature-Dependent Length Difference Between Aluminum and Copper Rods

In summary, the length of an aluminum rod and a copper rod at 5 degrees Celsius is 100 cm. To find the temperature at which one rod will be 0.5 mm longer than the other, we must use the coefficients of expansion (2.38x10^-5 for aluminum and 1.68x10^-5 for copper) and the equation ∆L=(α∆T)(100cm). After solving, the temperature is 71.43 degrees Celsius. Similarly, on a hot day where the temperature is 32 degrees Celsius, the distance between two lamp posts on the road is 30.018 m, taking into account the coefficient of linear expansion of the metal tape (50
jsalapide
1.An aluminum rod and a copper rod have the same length of 100 cm at 5 degrees Celsius. At what temperature would one of the rods be 0.5mm longer than the other? Which rod is longer at such temperature?

how can i solve this? i have no idea.. help !

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the coefficients of expansion of these materials? What is the equation for the change in length in terms of the coefficient of expansion α and the change in temperature ∆T? Subtract the changes in length (larger first) of each of the rods and equate it to 0.5 mm, and solve for ∆T.

What are the coefficients of expansion of these materials? What is the equation for the change in length in terms of the coefficient of expansion α and the change in temperature ∆T? Subtract the changes in length (larger first) of each of the rods and equate it to 0.5 mm, and solve for ∆T.

the coefficient of expansion of aluminum is 2.38x10^-5
the coefficient of expansion of copper is 1.68x10^-5
the equation I used was ∆L=(α∆T)(100cm)

i followed your instructions and..
my answer is 71.43 degrees..
is it right?

Yes, that would be the change in temperature. The original temperature is 5 °C, so you must add this to the change to get the actual temperature.

tnx for the help sir.. :smile:

how bout this one..

1.On a hot day where the temperature is 32 degrees celsius, the distance between two lamp posts on the road is 30m as measured by a metal tape whose coefficient of linear expansion is hypothetically 50 x 10^-6 /degree Celsius. If the tape gives its correct reading at 20 degrees, what is the actual distance between the lamp posts?

my answer is 30.018 m..
is that correct?

Yes, I get the same answer.

thanks a lot sir..

1. What is the "linear expansion rod problem"?

The linear expansion rod problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the change in length of a solid object when it is heated or cooled. It is also known as the thermal expansion problem.

2. How does temperature affect the length of a solid object?

When a solid object is heated, its atoms and molecules vibrate faster, causing them to take up more space and expand. This expansion results in an increase in the length of the object. Conversely, when a solid object is cooled, its atoms and molecules slow down, causing the object to contract and decrease in length.

3. What is the equation for calculating linear expansion?

The equation for calculating linear expansion is: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the original length of the object, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a constant value that represents the amount of length change per unit length of a material for every 1 degree Celsius change in temperature. It is typically measured in units of 1/°C or 1/K.

5. How is the linear expansion rod problem relevant in real life?

The linear expansion rod problem is relevant in various industries, such as construction and engineering, where changes in temperature can affect the dimensions of structures and cause damage. It is also important in the design of everyday objects, such as thermometers and thermostats.