Thermal Expansion Calculation for a Rod Made of Alloy

In summary, the thermal expansion of a rod made from a particular alloy is linear and the rate is constant, but the rod shrinks by 2.14E-4 when it is heated from 27.5°C to 127°C and then cooled from 27.5°C to 4.19°C.
lew0049
Hey guys, the following is a HW question I believe I am doing correctly but I'm not getting the correct answer, any input would be appreciated!
Q
uestion: A rod made from a particular alloy is heated from 27.5 °C to 127 °C. Its length increases by 9.13 x 10-4 m. The rod is then cooled from 27.5 °C to 4.19 °C. By how much does the rod shrink?

After breaking down the basic thermal expansion equation I get: (9.13E-4 / 99.5)* (23.31) = change of L = 2.14E-4 m ... am I missing something because this doesn't seem too complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
If the thermal expansion is linear and the rate is constant, then this looks about right.

As far as I know, that is correct. It's slightly frustrating because I can't think of any reason my answer is wrong.

If your answer is not the same as that in the back of the book, it doesn't mean you are wrong.
When I was at school (many years ago), the answers in the back of my book were more often wrong than right. My old physics teacher quite liked the idea because, as he used to say, "it kept us on our toes".

Stonebridge said:
If your answer is not the same as that in the back of the book, it doesn't mean you are wrong.
When I was at school (many years ago), the answers in the back of my book were more often wrong than right. My old physics teacher quite liked the idea because, as he used to say, "it kept us on our toes".

yeah I completely agree but we have to submit our HW on a website (wiley). I still haven't found a problem with my answer though. Oh well, thanks anyways.

Wow after I submitted the answer for the 3rd time, it gave me a link to the solution. The answer was NEGATIVE 2.14E-4 which is wrong and a self-contradiction because something cannot shrink by a negative number - that would essentially mean it lengthened. And this is why HW done via websites can be extremely frustrating.

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion refers to the increase in length, area, or volume of a material when it is heated. This is due to the increase in molecular motion, causing the atoms and molecules to move further apart.

2. How does linear expansion affect different materials?

Different materials have different coefficients of linear expansion, which determines how much they will expand when heated. For example, metals generally have a higher coefficient of linear expansion compared to non-metals.

3. What is the equation for calculating linear expansion?

The equation for linear expansion is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the original length of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. Can linear expansion cause damage to structures?

Yes, linear expansion can cause damage to structures if they are not designed to accommodate for the expansion. For example, bridges and roads may crack due to the expansion of the materials in extreme temperatures.

5. How is linear expansion used in everyday life?

Linear expansion is used in everyday life in various ways. For example, it is used in the design of thermometers, thermostats, and bimetallic strips. It is also used in the design of railroads and bridges to prevent damage from temperature changes.