1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Expansion

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    Given: The linear expansion coefficient of glass is 9 × 10−6 (◦C)−1. An automobile windshield has dimensions of 60 cm by 400 cm. What minimum spacing around the wind-shield is needed to prevent the windshield from breaking if the temperature changes by 150◦F? Answer in units of mm.

I understand I use the equation alpha*Length*delta(t) but it won't pop out the right answer and I think the dimensions are what is throwing me off. Any advice is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show what you did. I would have chosen the 400 cm dimension to work with, as it will change the most. Did you convert the temp change to degrees C?

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    I did not change to degrees Celsius. The conversion is (5/9)*(150-32) so my new temp is 65.556. Also, I have to change cm -> mm. so the dimension would be 4000 mm. So, my final equation would be (9e-6)(4000)(65.556) ??

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Yes, but don't forget that that's the total increase in that dimension. So what minimum spacing would you need at each end?

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5
    My answer from that comes out to be 2.36 but I don't know how to find the minimum spacing piece that you're talking about.

7. Nov 13, 2008 #6

Doc Al

If the entire glass expands by 2.36, how much space do you have to allow at each end?

8. Nov 13, 2008 #7
    the given dimensions + expansion value.

9. Nov 21, 2008 #8
    so i dont know if you allready figured out your problem.... but i just did that exact problem. the error that you made was that the temp that is given is a (delta t). to convert from F to C it is just (delta t)*(5/9).... you dont subtract 32. that should fix it! after that it is just:

delta L = alpha*Lo*delta t and that should be your answer.

10. Nov 22, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Good catch! (I wasn't paying attention when the OP did the conversion. :uhh:)

Fix that conversion. You're converting a temperature change, not a temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?