Partial Fraction Integration: Proving the Linear Factor Rule

• Thread starter The Anomaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the Partial Fraction method of integration involves breaking down a fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This is based on the Linear Factor Rule, which states that for each factor of the form (ax+b)m there will be m partial fractions in the decomposition. The proof for this rule is typically found in more advanced courses, but it is not necessary for using the method in integration. The term "advanced algebra" in a Calculus book may refer to Precalculus algebra or more advanced topics that have not yet been covered.
The Anomaly
I'm studying the Partial Fraction method of integration, and I believe I understand the fundamental idea of it. However, much of it is based on a rule that the book calls the Linear Factor Rule. It is the following:

For each factor of the form (ax+b)m the partial fraction decomposition contains the following sum of m partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{A_1}{(ax+b)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{A_2}{(ax+b)^2}[/tex] + ... + [tex]\frac{A_m}{(ax+b)^m}[/tex]

I'm assuming that the proof of this is either assumed, or was done in a Precalculus course or something. But could you help me out with proving it? It just doesn't make much sense at this point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Anomaly said:
I'm studying the Partial Fraction method of integration, and I believe I understand the fundamental idea of it. However, much of it is based on a rule that the book calls the Linear Factor Rule. It is the following:

For each factor of the form (ax+b)m the partial fraction decomposition contains the following sum of m partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{A_1}{(ax+b)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{A_2}{(ax+b)^2}[/tex] + ... + [tex]\frac{A_m}{(ax+b)^m}[/tex]

I'm assuming that the proof of this is either assumed, or was done in a Precalculus course or something. But could you help me out with proving it? It just doesn't make much sense at this point.

No, the proof that such numerators exist is found only in more advanced courses. But to proceed in integration you do not need that proof. Even if you have not proved that such coefficients exist in all cases, if such coefficients exist (as they always do) in the case you are doing, then you can go ahead with the integration.

g_edgar said:
No, the proof that such numerators exist is found only in more advanced courses. But to proceed in integration you do not need that proof. Even if you have not proved that such coefficients exist in all cases, if such coefficients exist (as they always do) in the case you are doing, then you can go ahead with the integration.

Alright, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some obvious proof from precalculus.

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: And for curiosity, when my Calculus book refers to advanced algebra (Not exactly for this example, but for others) are they referring to Precalculus algebra? Or way more advanced stuff that I have not approached yet?

1. What is partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration is a method used in calculus to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This makes it easier to integrate the function and find its antiderivative.

2. What is the Linear Factor Rule in partial fraction integration?

The Linear Factor Rule states that any rational function can be expressed as a sum of fractions, where each fraction has a linear polynomial in the denominator. This rule is essential in finding the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function.

3. How do you prove the Linear Factor Rule in partial fraction integration?

The Linear Factor Rule can be proved using algebraic manipulation and the fundamental theorem of algebra. The key steps involve factoring the polynomial in the denominator, setting up a system of equations, and solving for the coefficients of the fractions.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration can make it easier to integrate rational functions that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to integrate. It also allows for the use of other integration techniques, such as substitution, to be applied more easily.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration can only be used for rational functions, which means that functions with irrational or transcendental components cannot be decomposed using this method. It also requires some algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming for more complex functions.